Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > What is Extract Funk?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2012, 05:26 PM   #11
lordotheporto
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sheetsEMJ View Post
...If you are using LME, make sure to do a full hour boil and remove from the heat source while adding to reduce carmelization...
Thanks for the description. Your statement quoted above raises more questions in my mind:

First, you say to make sure to do a full hour boil with the LME, but I thought a common technique to reduce the funk is to do late extract additions?

Second, I have heard of some folks who "boil the snot" out of some extract based wort (prior to hop addition) in order to increase caramelization, to produce a more caramel and sweeter flavor by converting sugars into a form that the yeast cannot digest. By doing this, are these people actually increasing the twang?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 07:07 PM   #12
3sheetsEMJ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordotheporto

Thanks for the description. Your statement quoted above raises more questions in my mind:

First, you say to make sure to do a full hour boil with the LME, but I thought a common technique to reduce the funk is to do late extract additions?

Second, I have heard of some folks who "boil the snot" out of some extract based wort (prior to hop addition) in order to increase caramelization, to produce a more caramel and sweeter flavor by converting sugars into a form that the yeast cannot digest. By doing this, are these people actually increasing the twang?
Ok there are a few misunderstandings here. Theres a difference between oxidized malt (funk) and malt that has undergone a reaction ( burnt extract or ectract that has undergone Maillard Reaction.) I found this article and it may answer your questions on this.

http://beersmith.com/blog/2008/02/20...act-additions/

I add my malt twice once at start of boil, another at 30 mins.

The basics are this: use the freshest extract possible, full hour boil, proper sanitation, proper ferementation temps.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #13
3sheetsEMJ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Update: my local brew store didnt have dry extract, only liquid, which i bought begrudgingly. My beer now has " the funk". I have not had this issue with any brew that I made with dry extract. My solution: never uaing liquid extract again, ever! dry only from here on out...

Old 09-27-2012, 08:58 PM   #14
azmark
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sheetsEMJ View Post
Update: my local brew store didnt have dry extract, only liquid, which i bought begrudgingly. My beer now has " the funk". I have not had this issue with any brew that I made with dry extract. My solution: never uaing liquid extract again, ever! dry only from here on out...
Might be a good example of why not to do a full LME boil.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #15
3sheetsEMJ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ok well i let it sit in the keg for a week and the flavor definitely improved, but the aftertaste is not as clean or crisp as Id like. I notoced that issue was resolved with DME. I made another batch with DME this weekend. Essentially the same recipe (just with different bittering hops). I'll see if the aftertaste improves with this one...

Old 10-02-2012, 08:15 PM   #16
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1843 Times on 1625 Posts
Likes Given: 1316

Mailard reactions happen when too much LME is used at the begining of the boil & it caramelizes as stateted. That bittersweet off funky flavor can be eliminated. I use all LME at flame out. I use half a 3lb bag of plain (un-hopped) DME in the boil for hop additions (2.5-3G). At flame out,add remaining DME & all LME till dissolved completely. Cover & steep 15 minutes. Since the temp is still 180F+,it's more than hot enough to pasteurize,which happens around 162F.
Twang gone,cleaner flavors can be had,along with lighter color. But you still have to maintane good temps for the yeast used. That'll eliminate off flavors that can complicate these things.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #17
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I always thought of the twang as a semi metallic bite.. kinda like putting a penny in your mouth for just a second.. that's how I perceive it as but it's different with everyone

Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Old 10-02-2012, 09:26 PM   #18
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 446

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmark View Post
Might be a good example of why not to do a full LME boil.
or late addition either

Old 10-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #19
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 1843 Times on 1625 Posts
Likes Given: 1316

Late additions have been proven by many on here to solve this problem. so it's def not a bad thing with my partial boils. Can't imagine it'd be bad on a full boil. It does give more hop utilization ime. But a full LME boil being a must isn't true. The less you boil all the KME,the better. Hence late additions. I use plain DME in the boil,LME at flame out to solve it.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #20
remman4
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

What he said

Quick Reply