New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > What do you think about bottled water?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2007, 10:54 PM   #11
cclloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 69

I also have used store spring water - unboiled - for all of my brews and have not had any contamination issues at all. I cool two gallons in the freezer during the boil and add them bring the temp down before pitching.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2007, 02:44 AM   #12
veggiess
Recipes 

I use water from my PUR filter and freeze some like mentioned above. Removes everything that would make it taste nasty and saves $$ and the environment from tons of plastic water bottles. My water tastes pretty darn good coming out of that filter. (Only problem before the filter is a chlorine taste, but the PUR gets rid of that). My beer always turns out.

Primary:
Secondary: Newcastle Clone
Bottled: Chocolate Caramel Cappuccino Porter, Vanilla Cream Ale, American Wheat
Party pigs: Hex Nut Brown Ale
Up Next:

Old 05-26-2007, 04:20 PM   #13
rcdirtbuggy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use bottled spring water for my top off and I also use purified ice to cool my wort. Is adding ice to the wort bad?? I hear people say not to do it for sanitation reasons but i've never had a problem doing it this way.

Old 05-26-2007, 04:35 PM   #14
Hopleaf

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I used to brew primarily with Ozarka now I just use tap for everything, better mineral profile. I don't think it really matters for extract but I figure what the heck.

* Kolsch
* Apfelwein batch #lots

Old 05-27-2007, 08:35 AM   #15
veggiess
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdirtbuggy
I use bottled spring water for my top off and I also use purified ice to cool my wort. Is adding ice to the wort bad?? I hear people say not to do it for sanitation reasons but i've never had a problem doing it this way.

Depends on where you are getting the ice from. Ice from a store in a sealed bag? Iffy. Ice from your freezer? Not good, unless you froze it in a sanitized container.

Primary:
Up Next:

Last edited by veggiess; 05-27-2007 at 08:42 AM.

Old 05-27-2007, 08:40 AM   #16
veggiess
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdirtbuggy

Depends on where you are getting the ice from. Ice from a store in a sealed bag? Iffy. Ice from your freezer? Not good, unless you froze it in a sanitized container that is sealed.

Primary:
Up Next:

Old 05-27-2007, 09:08 AM   #17
Flyin' Lion

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I use spring water for my beer and top off as well with no problems thus far. Considering I haven't seen anyone cover this yet, you don't want to use distilled water for your beer. I can't remember exactly why (no minerals in it?), but I do know you shouldn't use it.

Old 05-27-2007, 11:38 AM   #18
Georgian Novice

Recipes 

Default Distilled No

I used to use only spring water from the gallon jugs, the basic "store" or generic brand. Would boil 2-3 gallons and chill the rest. I then stopped doing that and just used regular tap water, not boiled, to fill the rest of the batch after cooling the wort. Usually about 2 or 3 gallons. Beer has always been fine and I haven't had any bad batches.

I have really only had 2 bad batches. One was because of old yeast and I repitched a week later with good yeast and it all worked out. The other was because I used distilled water.

Distilled water should never be used. The lack of minerals that are have been removed make all the difference in the world. Your wort will simply not ferment and the whole batch will have to be thrown out. Never used Distilled. Only use "spring" or "drinking" water from the bottles at the store if you still want to use the bottled water way.

Old 05-27-2007, 12:06 PM   #19
Blaine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mojo Rising
3 very different answers so far. I know that certain state laws allow the bottling of tap water for resale as "Bottled Water" This is virtually the same thing I am doing now. I would like to be able to verify the filter process somehow. A PUR filter is a good idea.
Forget using bottled water. The cost over even a modderate amount of time is significant and the cost over the longer term is ridiculous. Combine this with the fact that unless you know someone who knows someone in the water company you are not going to be able to get a complete water profile.
With this in mind I bought a good quality filter and haven't looked back. This way I can get a water profile from the city council and filter it. I then have the softist water posible. Then all it needs is to have the right mix of additives to suite the style of beer.

Cheers to the beers
Boof

Primary: Dry

Seconary: N/A

Conditioning: Dry
Conditioning: Dry

Now drinking: Hop Head Golden Saaz Pilsner

Next up: My own Pilzsner from scratch

Old 05-27-2007, 05:36 PM   #20
Mr. Mojo Rising

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I went and bought a two bottles of good ol' Hinkley Springs, 2.6 gal. for my Clapton and Cream Ale I brewed Friday night. I have had poor attenuation so I switched up the yeast, aeration, and water on this batch. Needless to say, I am glad I had the blow tube handy.

I think the dissolved oxygen in tap or bottled is reason enough to use when doing an extract. I used HB Bill's method of adding my LME post boil and everything is good with the world so far on this batch. I am going to stick with the bottled water just because I am lazy and don't mind the cost really.

Thanks for all the input.

15 Gal Conical - The Three Nobles-German Pils
Secondary - The Comrade-Imperial Russian Stout
Tap 1 - The Goodness-APA
Tap 2 - The Unicorn-Honey Nut Brown
Tap 3 - The Blarney-Irish Red

Quick Reply