Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > What to Buy for Bulk Acquisition?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #11
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I still wouldn't by LME unless I was going to use it within a month or keep it in the fridge. Any aversion to DME? I buy that 12 lbs at a time split into 3 lb bags for PM beers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2011, 07:54 PM   #12
superslomo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I've not had good luck keeping it from turning into a sloppy, sticky mess, and while I didn't originally expect I'd say this, it's a more aggravating thing to mix into the batch... foamier etc.

Also, the LME comes out cheaper in this case, even with shipping, and even counting the adjustment for water volume/equivalent fermentable quantities.

Fermenter 1: Empty
Fermenter 2: Empty
Fermenter 3: Empty
Fermenter 4: Empty
Carboy/Fermenter 5: Cider

Bottled: 2xPetite Saison D'Ete, Hefeweizen, Apricot Honey Wheat, Raspberry Honey Wheat, Dubbel, Belgian Blond mess, Caribou Slobber sort of, Nukey, Pumpkin, ESB
Planning: Scottish 80, Stout, Honey Weizen, Petite Saison, IPA

Old 10-03-2011, 09:40 PM   #13
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 62

NB's extract is Briess, just like almost everyone else. Williams is the only place I know of that has their own extract.
http://www.williamsbrewing.com/SYRUP-MALT-EXTRACT-32-POUND-PACKS-C271.aspx

I think I'll have another pint of this highly flawed beer because it's so damned good.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:59 AM   #14
superslomo
Recipes 

Not so sure I would want 32 pounds in a single pack, as opposed to splitting things per NB into 6 pound sealed quantities. Seems like having to measure out of a 32 pound drum of LME would be a little bit of a headache.

Bottled: 2xPetite Saison D'Ete, Hefeweizen, Apricot Honey Wheat, Raspberry Honey Wheat, Dubbel, Belgian Blond mess, Caribou Slobber sort of, Nukey, Pumpkin, ESB

Old 10-04-2011, 12:39 PM   #15
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by superslomo View Post
Not so sure I would want 32 pounds in a single pack, as opposed to splitting things per NB into 6 pound sealed quantities. Seems like having to measure out of a 32 pound drum of LME would be a little bit of a headache.
It only requires 5 pots and one heck of a brew day

But seriously I'm with ou on the LME less $$ than DME and getting a 6lb container (aka about 1 batch) is more useful than a 30lb container.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:40 PM   #16
subliminalurge
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACbrewer View Post
before you reached your multi year legal limit.
Do people actually pay attention to that?

I guess I've been vaguely aware that there is a limit, but I can't honestly say I've ever given it much thought. In fact, I honestly don't even know what the limit is. I'm sure I've probably exceeded it many times.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:58 PM   #17
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by subliminalurge View Post
Do people actually pay attention to that?

I guess I've been vaguely aware that there is a limit, but I can't honestly say I've ever given it much thought. In fact, I honestly don't even know what the limit is. I'm sure I've probably exceeded it many times.
Well the limit is 100 gallons for an adult before you have to register and pay taxes. 200 per houshold with 2 or more adults in it.

As to 'worry about it' personally not yet as I've not gotten to 50 for a year and my household has 2 adults, so I can go 200. (I bet most can go 200). I wouldn't advertise getting close or going over. It is unlikely that anyone would be able to do anything failing an admission of the brewer.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:15 PM   #18
superslomo
Recipes 

Is that a one-year limit? Is it a rolling limit, or just per calendar year? I have to figure a good number of folks around here have broken that pretty regularly. Didn't even know it was an issue.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:39 PM   #19
subliminalurge
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACbrewer View Post
Well the limit is 100 gallons for an adult before you have to register and pay taxes. 200 per houshold with 2 or more adults in it.

As to 'worry about it' personally not yet as I've not gotten to 50 for a year and my household has 2 adults, so I can go 200. (I bet most can go 200). I wouldn't advertise getting close or going over. It is unlikely that anyone would be able to do anything failing an admission of the brewer.
Ahh... Yeah, the first couple years of brewing I was a single guy, and I'm sure I did a good deal more than 20 batches per year. When I first started I was going nuts and brewing every chance I got.

But now that I'm married, I don't see myself exceeding 200 gallons for awhile, at least with my current setup. May be more of an issue soon as I'm planning to upgrade to bigger batch sizes.

But you're right, aside from an admission from the brewer I don't see how this would be enforceable. It's not like I'm stockpiling hundreds of gallons in my basement, and even if I was there's no way to tell when it was brewed....

Old 10-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #20
superslomo
Recipes 

I guess I have four fermenters plus a secondary that I'm going to do cider in, so I suppose I could imagine breaking 200 gallons if I made a point of it. Never realized it was a tax issue.

Quick Reply