Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > What Brewers Best Extract Kits do you like?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #51
DannyboyUSMC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I only have 3 brews so far and 2 being the Brewers best kits. (3rd is Edwort's apfelwein doing its thing in the fermenter). The first was the BB IPA kit. Not bad for a first time brew but the hops didn't come out as much as I thought. I'm about to bottle the BB Witbier and add blueberry extract at bottling. The Witbier is an intermediate kit I assume because of the specialty grains but I didn't have too much trouble figuring it out (find out in a couple of weeks).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2013, 12:12 PM   #52
OhReally
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I just took a gravity reading for my BB Imperial IPA, and it's damn tasty already. It's almost certainly ready to bottle. I'm pumped to taste it cold and carbonated.

One thing I don't understand is where BB gets their numbers from for this thing. According to BB:

OG: 1.075 - 1.080
FG: 1.017 - 1.020
ABV: 8.0 - 8.5%

These numbers don't add up. Doing the math, those gravities yield an ABV range of 7.2 - 8.3%. From my own experience, I got 7.6% (1.076, 1.018 ). Maybe they do some sort of funny Midwest math.

Awesome products, though.

You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
-Bob Dylan

Primary: -
Secondary: -
Bottled: Ex-Pat 1800 English IPA
Drinking: Black IPA, Hoppiness is an IPA, Port O' Palmer Robust Porter, Nae Foolish Wee Heavy, Devil's Milk barley wine

Old 03-20-2013, 12:29 PM   #53
philber
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I have done 4-5 of these kits and I think they are great. When I mis-plan my AG brew/fermentation times, I pick up one of these kits, Whole[Paycheck]Foods has them in stock! I also love the 3 hour brew session and the 2 week brew to glass turn around time.

I have done the Imperial Blonde Ale, I made 4.5 gals not 5 and it was very strong, I usually don't take readings with the kits since they are kinda idiot proof. I also did the American Pale Ale, Dunkel, American Amber and last week I did the Rye IPA (hitting the keg tomorrow!).

I tend not to like Fruit/Vegetables in my beer so I pick classics and haven't been disappointed. Next I will probably pick up the Kolsh and/or Nut Brown.

Fermenting: Golden Ale, APA
Kegged: Kolsh, Coal Porter, Sweet Stout, Seltzer Water

History: Irish Red, Brown Ale, Czech Plsner, Boddingtons, Saizon Dupont, American Amber, Hefe 2-Row, Cream Ale, SWMBO Slayer, BMC, Midwest Porter Kit, Irish Stout, Coal Porter, Miller Lite, Nut Brown Ale, IPA

Old 03-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #54
beercity23
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Has anyone else tried the european bock? I brewed this my first kit, and it came out with a licorice flavor? What did i do wrong?

Old 03-20-2013, 06:03 PM   #55
skipfab74
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Haven't done one yet, but I'm planning on doing the Pumpkin Spice Porter for the fall. Anyone have experience with that one?

Old 03-20-2013, 10:29 PM   #56
OhReally
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipfab74
Haven't done one yet, but I'm planning on doing the Pumpkin Spice Porter for the fall. Anyone have experience with that one?
I made that one last fall. I still have half a case left because it hasn't been the easiest going down. Whatever spices are in the packet, there's too much of it. So much so that it's... I dunno what the word for it is... Not cloying, but it's overpowering. If I ever made it again (not by choice) I'd use half or less of the included spice packet.

You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
-Bob Dylan

Primary: -
Secondary: -
Bottled: Ex-Pat 1800 English IPA
Drinking: Black IPA, Hoppiness is an IPA, Port O' Palmer Robust Porter, Nae Foolish Wee Heavy, Devil's Milk barley wine

Old 03-21-2013, 12:55 AM   #57
scottab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by beercity23 View Post
Has anyone else tried the european bock? I brewed this my first kit, and it came out with a licorice flavor? What did i do wrong?
The European bock was very good for me, tasted of caramel and a hint of almost coffee... maybe you steeped your grain at too high a temp or scorched your extract. The bock was a pretty good and filling brew

Old 03-21-2013, 12:56 AM   #58
scottab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhReally View Post

I made that one last fall. I still have half a case left because it hasn't been the easiest going down. Whatever spices are in the packet, there's too much of it. So much so that it's... I dunno what the word for it is... Not cloying, but it's overpowering. If I ever made it again (not by choice) I'd use half or less of the included spice packet.
I did the pumpkin spiced porter as my 2nd brew and only thing i can say about that one is use no more than half the spice pack. Even after a year it was still overwhelming spice.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:33 AM   #59
kurzschluss1
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyboyUSMC View Post
I only have 3 brews so far and 2 being the Brewers best kits. (3rd is Edwort's apfelwein doing its thing in the fermenter). The first was the BB IPA kit. Not bad for a first time brew but the hops didn't come out as much as I thought. I'm about to bottle the BB Witbier and add blueberry extract at bottling. The Witbier is an intermediate kit I assume because of the specialty grains but I didn't have too much trouble figuring it out (find out in a couple of weeks).
I'm curious how you like the witbeer. I just made that kit and tried it 3 weeks after bottling and was a little bit underwhelmed. Now I'm trying to wait longer to allow the flavors to mesh a little more. Overall I thought it was good but not great. But I'm hoping the flavor will improve with a few more weeks in the bottle.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:38 AM   #60
kurzschluss1
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by philber View Post
I have done 4-5 of these kits and I think they are great. When I mis-plan my AG brew/fermentation times, I pick up one of these kits, Whole[Paycheck]Foods has them in stock! I also love the 3 hour brew session and the 2 week brew to glass turn around time.

I have done the Imperial Blonde Ale, I made 4.5 gals not 5 and it was very strong, I usually don't take readings with the kits since they are kinda idiot proof. I also did the American Pale Ale, Dunkel, American Amber and last week I did the Rye IPA (hitting the keg tomorrow!).

I tend not to like Fruit/Vegetables in my beer so I pick classics and haven't been disappointed. Next I will probably pick up the Kolsh and/or Nut Brown.
I just bottled the kolsch a week ago (my very first brew). It was easy to make. I gave it two weeks in the primary and a month in secondary and now waiting for the carbonation is making me insane. it looked beautiful though.

Quick Reply