Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > What Brewers Best Extract Kits do you like?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #21
jcam91
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman3141 View Post
The RIS is pretty good. It was my first kit. It's extract + steeping grains(roasted barley, black patent and caramel 60, I think) and turned out pretty well. I'm not sure if a single packet of s-04 is sufficient for a brew that large. It got down to 1.030 pretty quickly but 1.030 to 1.020 took 2 or 3 weeks.

The holiday ale didn't turn out as well but that was entirely my fault. It was my second batch and I got a little too big for my britches in making modifications to the recipe.
My father in law brewed the holiday ale. It good at first but was delicious by the last few pints. But thats the way it goes I guess.

Brew on folks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 10:04 AM   #22
brewsnthelou
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Done several and they all have turned out great, got their Imperial Blonde in primary now

"BEER...the other white meat"

Old 01-27-2013, 10:33 AM   #23
jethro55
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 22

The BB HopNog is great. Tastes about half way between Stone
Ruination and Arrogant Bastard. Have several other of their kits in progress.

Civilization begins with Beer !

Primary: nothing in the pipeline at the moment
Secondary: some summer beers are imperative
Bottled: Nut Brown, Listermann's Cream Ale, American Pale Ale, Holiday Ale, HopNog, Honey Malt Cream Ale, Irish Stout, English Brown Ale, BIAB English Ale, India Black Ale, Bengal Juice, BIAB Cherry Wheat on the cherries, Belgian Pale Ale, Island Hefe on Mango, Island Hefe on Apricot (and dang -these are awesome beers)

Next Up: Hop farming

Old 01-28-2013, 10:25 PM   #24
theaug
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have brewed the Oatmeal Stout, the Witbier, Oktoberfest, and a few others as well.....they have all turned out very, very good IMO. Right now I have their Rye Pale Ale in the primary, and just bottles the Imperial Nut Brown.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:46 AM   #25
Crockus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Brewed the american light its in bottles now, sample one tonight I was pretty impressed(doesnt take much). They need about another week in the bottles. I also have American Amber in the primary that Im looking to keg in about 10days. So far they have all turned out good for me.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:44 PM   #26
dirtyjoedirt
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I brewed the BB dunkelweizen on sat. I decided after much research not to use the danstar munich dry yeast it came with and opted for WPL300. It's been five days and the banana smell coming from the airlock is awesome.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:48 AM   #27
scottab
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The only kit i had any issues with was their pumpkin spice porter. I used the whole spice pack and 1 year later the spice level is still overwhelming. Loved the cream ale which i brewed with vanilla beans. The kölsch was extremely tasty, english brown was one of my favs. Every kit i've made of theirs has turned out well with the 1 exception. I currently am waiting on the european bock to carb up and have a falconer's flight to brew.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:28 AM   #28
MoreCowbell
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

First BB kit I tried was the Imperial IPA. The sheet that comes with the kit hints that it is based off of The Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale. IMHO this was a fair comparison. Though I didn't come close to a 7% ABV as suggested in the kit it had a very big malty but slightly sweet IIPA character.

Currently I have their Smoked IPA and German Oktoberfest in secondary right now the former of witch I took a same tonight and tasted right on point. As far as the latter, I had a brief issue with stuck fermentation but otherwise appears to be pretty good. I will post how both turned out in a month or so.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:33 PM   #29
92yjeremy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I've brewed about a dozen or so brewer's best kits and usually use liquid yeast, I've found that I prefer Midwest, Austin, B3, you know the type. Brewer's best just seemed muddled or weaker in flavor and body to me. I never compared the ingredients and I never verified the dates, I just bought Brewer's Best when I was near a homebrew shop and thats all they sold in the kit catagory.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:31 AM   #30
ditka311
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhReally View Post
I've done half a dozen or so:

Scottish Ale, Imperial Blonde, Pumpkin Spice Porter, India Black Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Weizenbier

I'd have to say my favorite by far is the India Black Ale. My kit came with Millennium and Zythos hops, and Danstar Bry-97 dry yeast. Delicious roasty, coffee, dark flavors, and plenty of hops to go around. ABV 5.3%. It's the only one out of 12+ recipes i've done so far that I will definitely be making again. In fact, I should get on that now; I only have three bombers left.

Cheers.
My first brew is the India Black Ale. I am bottling it tomorrow so I hope I have similar success and a similar reaction.

Quick Reply