Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > What to brew...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
Woodland
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default What to brew...

I got a copy of Designing Great Beers book for Christmas. Looks like a good book.

With an Amarillo IPA in the closet, I'm trying to decide what to brew next. I'm intrigued by the Maris Otter LME in the NB catalog. I've also got some home-made maple syrup from a close friend of mine, I wonder what style of ale that would work with. I have a taste for an Irish Red, perhaps with oats and maple syrup.

Decisions, decisions...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
Captain Damage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Armed with Designing Great Beers (awesome book, BTW), I would recommend making a beer you've made before, but use the advice in the book to adjust the recipe. (Spoiler: there is no Irish Red with oats and maple syrup beer described in DGB) So if you've made and IPA you like, read chapter 16: Bitters and Pale Ales and design a variation on your IPA based on the recommendations.

Stop using so much caramel malt. Your beer will thank you.
(yes, Carapils is a caramel malt...so is Special B)

FERMENTING

BOTTLED
pujwI HIq Mild Ale
KPA Khitomer Pale Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply