Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > What are the best Mr. Beer add ons?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 02:00 PM   #21
WoodHokie4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My first batch ever was an octoberfest where i added molasses and brown sugar. It ended up really good. Ive moved on to better methods, but the mr. Beer kits hold a place in the casual homebrewer community. Check out the mr. Beer website and search recipes by LME type...it'll list combinations of malts to use and other "you supply" ingredients.

Basically, anything fermentable will work and anything one might add to traditional brew processes

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #22
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4929 Times on 3574 Posts
Likes Given: 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno1ryno View Post
Another experiement I would like to see is if sparging really makes a difference.

And perhaps, sanitizing every thing in site vs being sloppy.

Also, using too much yeast.

I think comparing different brews while tinkering with the process doesnt prove much of anything unless you use the same exact boiled brew against various ways to achieve the beer.
Yes, sparging makes a difference. Try a no-sparge wort vs a traditionally sparged wort (or look at all the threads here on the forum about it) and see what you think.

Sanitizing isn't important, unless you want to prevent possible infections in the beer. You may or may not end up with drinkable beer.

"Too much yeast" is very hard to do on a homebrew level, but theoretically possible. The results aren't that bad, though, compared to underpitching.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 11-24-2012, 07:25 PM   #23
F250
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno1ryno View Post
Another experiement I would like to see is if sparging really makes a difference.

And perhaps, sanitizing every thing in site vs being sloppy.

Also, using too much yeast.

I think comparing different brews while tinkering with the process doesnt prove much of anything unless you use the same exact boiled brew against various ways to achieve the beer.
Um, uh, are you trying to convince yourself that Mr Beer is the equal to all grain brewing?

Also, I think it's a mistake to talk yourself out of proper sanitation.

Just sayin....

Rick

Old 11-24-2012, 08:40 PM   #24
ryno1ryno
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by F250 View Post
Um, uh, are you trying to convince yourself that Mr Beer is the equal to all grain brewing?

Also, I think it's a mistake to talk yourself out of proper sanitation.

Just sayin....

Rick
Never said that. I was talking about the barrel.

In fact, Mr. Beer premade cans are boring and I have already bought grains, hops, Briess LME and yeast outside of Mr. Beer stuff.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:53 AM   #25
snowtires
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 43 Posts

Your beating a dead horse here. It seems your trying to reinvent the wheel. Many of the people on here are very experienced. They pretty much invented the home brewing we know today,and have pioneered many of the methods used. Your best bet is to listen to people like yooper and be glad they answered your questions. I know I am.
That being said yes the fermenter is a fermenter. The cans of beer are cans of beer, and if you go grains good, if you go all grain even better. Good luck on your brewing adventures

Primary 1 Hoppy birthday IPA
Primary 2 Citra blonde
Secondary: Do people still use secondaries?
Drinking: Beer from the store :(

Old 11-25-2012, 04:08 AM   #26
ryno1ryno
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I already got good info from Punx and Yooper... I enjoy when someone provides constructive feedback.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:36 AM   #27
royal1911
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I don't care what anyone says, I've made some really good beer with mr. Beer kits. I brew all grain now but im still proud of my mr. Beer ipas. I did 2 of them. I did the high court canadian draft with 1 lb of dme and 1 oz of cascade. Turned out great. I did another one with the west coast pale ale, 1 lb dme, and 1oz of cascade. While not as good as my all grain now beers, they were really good. I also used us-05 for the yeast.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:51 AM   #28
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 269 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal1911 View Post
I don't care what anyone says, I've made some really good beer with mr. Beer kits. I brew all grain now but im still proud of my mr. Beer ipas. I did 2 of them. I did the high court canadian draft with 1 lb of dme and 1 oz of cascade. Turned out great. I did another one with the west coast pale ale, 1 lb dme, and 1oz of cascade. While not as good as my all grain now beers, they were really good. I also used us-05 for the yeast.
1 oz in an IPA? what size batch was this, IBUs?

Old 11-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #29
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 710 Posts
Likes Given: 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2 View Post
1 oz in an IPA? what size batch was this, IBUs?
1 ounce of Cascade in a 2 gallon Mr. Beer batch would be like 2 1/2 to 3 ounces in a 5 1/4 gallon batch. It should add a lot to that small batch.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:50 PM   #30
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 269 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
1 ounce of Cascade in a 2 gallon Mr. Beer batch would be like 2 1/2 to 3 ounces in a 5 1/4 gallon batch. It should add a lot to that small batch.
Just thinking also that the extract is already hopped so that would be 1 oz + whatever is in the kit already in 2 gallons. Didn't realise that Mr. Beer was only 2 gallons, the Cooper's starter kit which is similar but different they sell over here starts you off at 6 gallons!

Quick Reply