Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > were can i buy it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2006, 12:51 AM   #11
makingitgood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Thanks, and yes i have all the gear needed... ok one more ? do i have to fill my fermenting tank right up? or is it ok to have it half full?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2006, 01:34 AM   #12
Fatabbot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by makingitgood
Thanks, and yes i have all the gear needed... ok one more ? do i have to fill my fermenting tank right up? or is it ok to have it half full?
howtobrew.com

Useful online reference.....

Yes, you need to fill the fermenter up with the boiled wort and additional water to a level called for in your recipe (most kits will come with some sort of instructions).

Old 06-11-2006, 03:15 AM   #13
makingitgood
Recipes 

i have a 10 gal fermenting tank and i only want to make a 4-5 gal batch, so would it work? should i get a diffrent tank?

Old 06-11-2006, 12:16 PM   #14
Fatabbot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by makingitgood
i have a 10 gal fermenting tank and i only want to make a 4-5 gal batch, so would it work? should i get a diffrent tank?
No, don't use a 10 gallon. Use a 6.5 plastic bucket or carboy for primary and a smaller carboy for a secondary. You want to limit the amount of extra airspace.

Old 06-11-2006, 02:36 PM   #15
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

I'm going to be a little patronizing here and give a professorial response: it looks to me like you need to learn a little about the process first.

You can't go wrong with the online book "How to Brew" by John Palmer, and it's free: www.howtobrew.com

Or get the newest edition which just came out in print.

If you read up a little, you'll get much better results, you'll know what you're doing, you'll know what questions to ask, etc...

All you really need to read in PAlmer to get started is through the "Your First Extract Brew) chapter--It's probably not much more than an hour or two's reading.

Welcome to the obsession.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 06-11-2006, 03:16 PM   #16
veggiess
Recipes 

Are you talking about a no-boil kit? It sounds like maybe that is what you are thinking. Basically these kits have a can, a bag of malt or brewing sugar and yeast added to some boiled water and cold water. No secondary container-you bottle right from this kit and the yeast sits below the spikot line.

Cooper's Microbrewery Kit
www.makebeer.net

Mr. Beer (small kit)
www.mrbeer.com

Beer Man Microbrewery
www.beermanmicrobrewery.com

Beer Machine (keg-like)
www.beermachine.com

Long-timers and big-time homebrewers will tell you these methods are a waste of time. They are not as tweakable, but if you buy a good ingredient kit (listed on the site), you will make good beer and it's a good way to start and practice before you take off on a full kit like people have been discussing. If you just want to try homebrewing first in an easier way, try one of these kits (I recommend the Cooper's the most; or Mr. Beer if you want small amounts, but the refills on this kit can get spendy).

Old 06-11-2006, 10:11 PM   #17
makingitgood
Recipes 

Ok so what are some good beer kits? what do some of you prefer?

Old 06-11-2006, 10:15 PM   #18
makingitgood
Recipes 

Oh why do they cann them no boil kits? you still have to boil the wort dont you?

Old 06-12-2006, 01:37 AM   #19
veggiess
Recipes 

You should probably do some reading, but they are "no-boil" because they have already been boiled and are all ready in the can.
http://makewine-makebeer.com/beer_kit.php

You boil a couple gal of water and add it to the fermenter, then add the can of stuff, along with additives like malt extracts, sugars, etc, stir everything to dissolve, then add cool water to the top (5 or 6 gal depending on the kit used) and make sure it's at the right temp. Add yeast, and close up fermenter with air lock. Mr. Beer has a similiar method except they add the can to the boiling water on the stove to dissolve and that kit makes only 2 gal. Both of these kits bottle from the primary, but it's not too messy because the bottling tap is above where the yeast settles, so you get very little sediment in your bottles. The Cooper's kits even come with carbonation drops which you use to prime/carbonate your bottles.

I like the Cooper's stuff. The kit is from Australia and their mixes make 6 gal, when you are bottled you have 30 740 ml (24.6oz) bottles (including in the kit).
They have a variety of kinds and you can buy their "complete beer kits" from $19.99 to like $34.99 with most being like $24. It's really quite tasty beer. That includes everything you need, minus the water. Right now Cooper's has a 15% off sale for Father's Day. A good thing about this is you can learn to tweak recipes later, and you can also use the fermenter as a primary later when you want to begin boil brewing. I did that, just added a secondary and a bottling bucket later, but I still use the no-boil kits when I don't have time or the energy to do the whole process.

www.makebeer.net

Old 06-12-2006, 02:36 AM   #20
makingitgood
Recipes 

thanks.... well i gues i will do some shoping, I am hoping to get it all local. so it is ok if i boil it to disolve it right?

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS