Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
tamns7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier

Yooooooo

So from previous posts I came up with a clone of this hefe weissbier (probably my favorite overall beer) and wanted to know what y'all think before I go ahead and brew it later this week. This will be only my second brew, but my first one turned out amazing (NB Pale Ale kit) and other than Caribou Slobber, I want to try something new!

2.5gallon batch

Belgian Munich Malt - 1 lb. crushed (soak til 160F in muslin bag)
NB Pilsen Malt Syrup 3.15 lbs. (1/3 to start, 2/3 15min before finish)
NB Wheat Malt Syrup 3.15 lbs. (1/3 to start, 2/3 15min before finish)
German Hallertau Hop Pellets 1 oz. (60mins)
Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Wheat (pitch at 68-70F)

Like I said, just want to see what some more experienced people might think. If y'all think it's a bad idea, I have no problem using the ingredients to make something else OR just brew it regardless and see what happens!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
BigB
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

The Belgian Munich seems like an odd choice to me, but I say try it. Experimentation is the key to learning. Also, I would suggest adding some flaked wheat for some body and starches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
slarkin712
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Wheat malt extract is typically 65% wheat and 35% pilsener. So, you should just use wheat malt extract, as that will give the traditional percentage of wheat for a weissbier. The Munich will not do much for you since it needs to be mashed, but you could get some Munich malt extract.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:15 PM   #4
tamns7
Recipes 

The wheat LME I have is 65% Wheat, 35% barley...

Old 01-07-2013, 04:40 PM   #5
tamns7
Recipes 

should i scratch the munich malt then? when i bought that i really didn't know any better. lol. rookie mistake!

Old 01-07-2013, 05:47 PM   #6
BigB
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamns7 View Post
The wheat LME I have is 65% Wheat, 35% barley...
Likely what slarkin was saying is that there is no need for the pilsner LME as the grist of most hefe's are 50-50 to 60-40 wheat to barley ratio. So, if you have half of your grist as pilsen and the other half as 65% wheat, you would have only about 32.5% wheat in the entire grist. So, scratch the pilsen LME and go with all wheat LME.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #7
slarkin712
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB View Post
Likely what slarkin was saying is that there is no need for the pilsner LME as the grist of most hefe's are 50-50 to 60-40 wheat to barley ratio. So, if you have half of your grist as pilsen and the other half as 65% wheat, you would have only about 32.5% wheat in the entire grist. So, scratch the pilsen LME and go with all wheat LME.
Exactly! Ditch the munich, it's not that important. You need to focus on fermentation temps and yeast for a good hefe. The flavors that come from the yeast are what makes a good hefe. Focus on yeast pitch rate, wort aeration, and fermentation temperature. From my expereince, making a truly great hefe can be elusive. Good luck!

Old 01-07-2013, 08:42 PM   #8
tamns7
Recipes 

awesome. thanks for all the feedback!

slarkin, care to elaborate just a little on yeast pitch rate and wort aeration? what i know of the two, is pitching the yeast is impt to do at certain temps and wort areation would be the swirling and mixing of the water and wort after the wort has cooled. any tricks or further advice/info you could give as to what works best for a brew like the one i'm about to do?

thanks again and cheers!

Old 01-07-2013, 08:47 PM   #9
tamns7
Recipes 

also how much wheat LME should i use? right now i have a 3.15# and a 6#...

Old 01-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #10
slarkin712
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

There's a lot of contradictory information out there on brewing a hefe, so first I have to say I'm no expert. Some of the information I've gathered has come from this thread:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/definitive-hefe-yeast-thread-fermentation-profiles-flavor-results-317195/

There's lot's of good info there. I've also read the books "Brewing With Wheat" by Hieronymus and "German Wheat Beer" by Eric Warner. But, first hand experience can be more valuable, so you'll probably just have to brew successive batches until you get the quality for which you're looking. From my experience I've found that pitching healthy yeast is very important. By healthy, I mean fresh and viable. I've tried to freeze hefe yeast and then restart it and brew with it - not good. The best results I have gotten have come from pitching a little less yeast than needed, but I've made good hefe's with just a single fresh smack pack. By aeration, I mean when after the top-off water is added. You inject oxygen into the beer, either by shaking the bucket/carboy or with an aeration stone, or another method, etc. This gives the yeast the oxygen needed to grow and multiply. I've found that I get better hefe's if I don't aerate the finished wort at all. I'm sure others will disagree, but like I said, this has been my experience. For fermentation temperature I like anywhere from 65-68F. You should get more banana flavor with higher fermentation temps. If you go too high with the temps you'll get strawberry and bubble gum flavors and some other undesirable esters.

Quick Reply