Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Weak fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2011, 02:34 PM   #1
InAthensGa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Weak fermentation

I brewed a batch of stout the other day and pitched my yeast starter as it is a higher grav beer and unfortunately has experienced a weak fermentation. Fermentation started about 12 hours in to it and has quit already 48 hours later. Is this very normal? The CO2 coming out of the airlock was pretty steady for a day but then started to slow down too soon in my opinion. I'd figure the fermentation would be super strong but it wasn't.

My theory is that the yeast cake or clumps just sunk to the bottom of the wort and was never suspended long enough. Do you think adding some more yeast at this point would help? I'm afraid the lack of aeration in the wort won't do it much good.

THanks all!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

There's no such thing as "weak" or "Strong" fermentation, there just is fermentation.

Are you implying that your airlock was bubbling and slowed down? That's perfectly normal. Your airlock is a vent, a valve to release excess co2, it's not a gauge of your fermentation. More than likely the majority of fermentation has wound down, as ALWAYS happens. But that doesn't mean fermentation has stopped, just that the amount of EXCESS co2 production has slowed down.

Fermentation is not always "dynamic," just because you don't SEE anything happening, doesn't mean that any-thing's wrong,, and also doesn't mean that the yeast are still not working diligently away, doing what they've been doing for over 4,000 years.

You have a big beer, it's going to take a long time to chew through the rest of the sugars.

Just leave your beer alone. The yeast know what they need to do.

When it's been 12 days or so, since yeast pitch, take a grav reading, and another in a couple days.

But don't assume anything's wrong because things have slowed down, things ALWAYS slow down eventually.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-20-2011, 02:49 PM   #3
InAthensGa
Recipes 

Awesome...thanks for the lesson. I was freaking out and thought I screwed up a nice batch o beer. Thanks for the encouragement brother.

Quick Reply