Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Watermelon Ale - Need some help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2009, 12:53 AM   #1
absolutbmc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Watermelon Ale - Need some help

Hi All -

So I am thinking about making a watermelon ale. I searched through the forums and I saw a lot of discussion about watermelon wheat. I wanted to get some advice on a Watermelon Ale (Light). I am aiming for something light and refreshing so the Watermelon can shine through. This is what I came up with so far. I would like to know some thoughts on the recipe:

4 lbs of Light Malt Extract
1 lbs of Rice extract
1/4 lbs toasted malted barley
1/2 oz cascade hops
1/4 oz Tettnanger hops
Safale Yeast US-05 (or another lager type yeast)

I would add 3-4 cups of watermelon during secondary.

So my thoughts this would be like a bud light, with the taste of watermelon. I am trying to clone a beer that Boston Beer works has every summer. Its light, crisp, and refreshing.

What does everyone think? Sound liek it could work or should I stilck with the watermelon wheat that has been discussed?

Thanks -
Brian

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2009, 03:38 AM   #2
Kickass
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My experience is still rather shallow so feel free to disregard but roasted malt sounds count intuitive to you emphasis of a light beer (rice extract and wanting a bud light and watermelon characteristics). I’d sub out the roasted malt for caramel 10L if you really want steeping grains.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:26 AM   #3
Blulakr
Recipes 

+1 on not using the roasted malt if you want to keep, it light.

Also watermelon doesn't have a a strong flavor (unlike raspberries) so you might consider adding more than 3-4 cups to get the desired effect.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:30 AM   #4
PintOfBitter
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

depending on how much of a purist you are, you could add watermelon flavoring extract - you can find natural stuff so it won't taste like jolly ranchers...

-PoB

Maybe you can use these Grain, Hops, Yeast Reference Charts
Come visit WildHopsPrintShop.com- custom bottle caps, beer glassware, tap handles, and more!

Old 03-13-2009, 05:41 AM   #5
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

He is using Toasted Malt not Roasted Barley, Which I think would be quite good in this brew. However you will need quite a bit of watermelon for this brew.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Last edited by RICLARK; 03-13-2009 at 05:43 AM.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:08 AM   #6
AZWyatt
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICLARK View Post
He is using Toasted Malt not Roasted Barley, Which I think would be quite good in this brew. However you will need quite a bit of watermelon for this brew.
Yeah, you'll definitely need a lot of watermelon. I used a WHOLE, VERY LARGE watermelon in a 5 gal batch of mead once and you can hardly taste it. So I'd recommend using two whole, large watermelons. It's a PITA trying to juice the things. Don't use a food processor, you'll get too much pulp. Use a beer bottle and smash the juice out, then pasteurize it by heating it to 150 degrees for about 30 minutes.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:08 AM   #7
Pelikan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hmm...

Regarding the grain bill/hop schedule, everything seems spot on. US-05 is an excellent choice for this brew, but it's very much an ale yeast.

The watermelon addition has me a bit leery, only because the chance for contamination seems quite high from where I'm sitting. Plus, and the watermelon flavor is so delicate that any attempt to sterilize would probably ruin it.

Even assuming one could get past this, I don't know that watermelon flavor and beer flavor would/could go together. As someone above noted, watermelon isn't strong enough to come through well -- the brew would end up muddied.

Don't mean to be a negative Nancy or anything, and I could very well be wrong. Maybe someone's got a watermelon brew out there racking up blue ribbons.

On a brewing hiatus. Will get back into the fray eventually, methinks...

Last edited by Pelikan; 03-13-2009 at 06:12 AM.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:22 PM   #8
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I would suggest using kolsch yeast and using a crushed camden tablet in a large bowl of water to steralize the watermelon. Dont smash the melon cut it up into squares like you were serving it to guests then rack on top of it after steralized.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 03-13-2009, 02:22 PM   #9
absolutbmc
Recipes 

Thank you everyone for your opinions. I also was concerned about contamination when adding the watermelon. From the threads about Watermelon Wheat, people just added the watermelon during secondary when the beer already had alcohol, which seemed to stem off any contamination.

I was thinking of doing a whole watermelon and basically juicing it. I wanted to cut the watermelon up into squares and just rack the beer on top of it, but I don’t think I can get the pieces into the carboy (never mind getting the watermelon out). Perhaps I can use a whole watermelon and watermelon extract?

I know the combo of a crisp beer and watermelon doesn’t sound good, but it is extremely tasty and very refreshing. If I never had this beer before, I would be uncertain of the combo too.

Thanks -
Brian

Old 03-13-2009, 05:19 PM   #10
CnnmnSchnpps
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Very interesting.. Next time I can find good watermelon at the store I'll have to crack open a beer and check out the combo

Good luck and let us know how it goes

Brauhaus 2151.

Yes these are bruises from brewing. Yes I'm comfortable with that.

BB1: EdWort's Apfelwein
BB2: IDA2 In the Doghouse Pale Ale

Bottled: IDA In the Doghouse Ale, JSW Citrus Wheat (Yuzu/Kabosu), FTS Oatmeal Stout, J2SW Citrus Wheat (Yuzu/Kabosu
/Shikuwasa), NBA Nut Brown Ale, IDA2 Kona Fire clone, 69IPAs - Nugget, Saaz

Next up:
"69 IPAs" single-hop series - Ahtanum, Citra, Amarillo, Simcoe, Colombus, Cascade.

Quick Reply