Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > water ratio for boiling (topping up or not)?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
detlion1643
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default water ratio for boiling (topping up or not)?

I do only have 1 hme brew done so far, and followed the instructions exactly. Obviously I barely even needed a boil, and only mixed the hme with a little bit of water, adding water to reach the desired gallons..

With that in mind, I want to migrate to extract, and I've been reading a lot. I understand I need to use dme/lme instead of hme, not a problem. I also know that I need to get hops and do a full 60 minute boil, utilizing the hops at different times to get bittering/flavor/aroma from them.

The part that gets me is how much water to boil with the malts and hops. As of now, I only have a mr. beer 2.5g primary available (3 5g carboys are still in use ). So, if I may ask, what are the differences and effects of the followings:
- Boil a gallon of water with dme/lme and add hops at times, top up with water
- Boil 2.5+ gallons (boil-off) with dme/lme and add hops at times, no top up needed
*Also can it be expanded to 5g+, as in boil 2+g and top up, etc...?

Will the first one result in "thinned/watered down" as the hops don't boil with all the water? Or do they pretty much equal out in the end?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
Soviet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by detlion1643 View Post
I do only have 1 hme brew done so far, and followed the instructions exactly. Obviously I barely even needed a boil, and only mixed the hme with a little bit of water, adding water to reach the desired gallons..

With that in mind, I want to migrate to extract, and I've been reading a lot. I understand I need to use dme/lme instead of hme, not a problem. I also know that I need to get hops and do a full 60 minute boil, utilizing the hops at different times to get bittering/flavor/aroma from them.

The part that gets me is how much water to boil with the malts and hops. As of now, I only have a mr. beer 2.5g primary available (3 5g carboys are still in use ). So, if I may ask, what are the differences and effects of the followings:
- Boil a gallon of water with dme/lme and add hops at times, top up with water
- Boil 2.5+ gallons (boil-off) with dme/lme and add hops at times, no top up needed
*Also can it be expanded to 5g+, as in boil 2+g and top up, etc...?

Will the first one result in "thinned/watered down" as the hops don't boil with all the water? Or do they pretty much equal out in the end?

In your case I would go with what we would call a "full boil"—for most beginning brewers this would mean boiling about 6-7 gallons down to a finished batch of 5-5.5 gallons depending on the evaporation rate (usually around 1 gallon per hour).

You will be limited, however, by the volume your kettle/brewpot can hold. Most brewers start by doing "partial" boils (i.e. boiling 1-3 gallons and "topping up" with water to 5 gallons.) until they get a larger pot that accomodates enough headspace to do a "full boil."

In terms of the quality of homebrew you'll be able to produce, doing a full boil is far better than doing a partial boil. The main reasons for this are as follows:
  • partial boils will result in high kettle carmelization because you're boiling a very concentrated sugary solution and diluting down AFTER you boil. Great for a Ambers, bad for a lot of other styles of beer.
  • partial boils (usually done on the stove top) have a weaker boil, resulting in less flavor-impacting melanoiden compounds being formed
  • often, you're adding back unboiled, chlorinated water which can add unwanted off-flavors. Light chlorination and temporary water hardness is usually driven off by boiling.

My advice is, buy the biggest stainless pot you can afford. (9+ gallons). This will allow you to do full 5 gallon boils once you free up those other fermenters. For this batch, boil 3.5 gallons or so down to 2.5 (don't top up) and add that to the fermenter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply