New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > want to improve american ale extract kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2009, 02:48 AM   #1
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Default want to improve american ale extract kit

I found a "no boil" Muttun's extract kit with 2 lbs DME in my beer supplies the other day. I would like any ideas of how I can improve this kit using some additions. I was thinking of trying to add some cascade hops, crushed corriander seeds and samm amounts of lemon zest to the boiling water that gets combined with the room temp extract.

Anyone have any suggestions on amounts of what I might add to make a better light beer? I moved away from these kits to more 1 hour boil extract kits on great advice from members of this forum. Thanks for your input.

mick

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2009, 03:05 AM   #2
msa8967
mickaweapon

Recipes 

forgot to mention that this is a 5 gallon recipe. I read through some other posts on the recipe forum, and I was thinking of using 1-2 oz of cascade hops, 1 oz of corriander seeds and the lemon zest of 1 lemon. Adding this to the boil water for a 15 minute period prior to adding the "no boil extract" light american ale.

Sorry I didn't add these amount to my previous post. Spent today cleaning over 200 bottles to be using for beer at my wedding in 5 weeks. Still a newbie here. (Why do large breweries use clear or green glass if brown is suppose to block the UV light the best? Just curious as it get harder to find pry-off bottles these days.)

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa

Old 06-22-2009, 04:52 AM   #3
Poindexter

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Use the DME as priming sugar for better batches (like one hour boil for instance), throw the yeast in the trash and don't look back.

M2c anyway

Old 06-22-2009, 07:24 PM   #4
McGarnigle
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 11

This is a kit that asks you to add table sugar? Instead, use DME in place of all or most of the sugar.

Adding Cascade hops sounds like a good idea. You may not even want to go 15 minutes with them. Maybe add at least some of them at flameout (or even dry hop).

I personally might not want coriander+lemon with a Casacde hopped beer, but that's a matter of taste.

If you follow Poindexter's advice about throwing out the yeast, make sure you use another yeast instead. ;0

Old 06-22-2009, 11:40 PM   #5
captianoats
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts

+1 on leaving out the coriander. Lemon would be pushing it, but a little might be alright.

For your second question, some styles of beer benefit from the "skunking" the beer gets when light infiltrates the bottle. If you notice, it's usually certain styles that have the green/clear bottles. I'll bet you you'll never see a stout in a clear bottle, but lots of cervezas will use them. If you need some for the wedding, use them. Just don't let any light get to them and you'll be fine.

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music" --George Carlin

Old 06-23-2009, 01:13 AM   #6
msa8967
mickaweapon

Recipes 

Took your advice and left out both the corriander seeds and lemon. I threw away the yeast with the kit and used a new packet of Cooper's. I allowed the Cascade hops to seep in the boilled water for about 10 minutes prior to adding the extract.

I tried rehydrating the yeast as mentioned in John Palmer's book and pitched it when the wort was at 78 F. The directions for the mix said to wait until the wort temp was at 70 F but since that was using their brand of yeast, I decided to go ahead at 78 F since I used this temp before with this brand of yeast. Hope this is OK. It may be the last "no boil" kit I buy for the near future.

thanks for the input...

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa

Old 06-23-2009, 01:18 AM   #7
petep1980

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Cooper's Ale yeast is usually pretty pitchable around 78°. You hydrate it warmer than that anyways, so it'll be fine.

Quick Reply