Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Want to add Honey to my Hefe extract kit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2010, 12:14 AM   #1
hefhead25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Want to add Honey to my Hefe extract kit

So I want to add a little abv and a slight crisp honey taste to my hefe extract batch but i see everyone does something different. I will be kegging as well if that makes a difference. So should i add 1 lb. of honey---end of boil, after boil, after chilled and yeast is pitched, secondary, or when kegging. Keep in mind im not trying to make the beer too dry. I've heard that those sugars added too early can do that. Any advice???

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2010, 01:55 AM   #2
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I would add no more than 2# of honey, depending upon how much dme/lme you are using, during the last 15 minutes of the boil.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:06 AM   #3
curlyfat
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I just did this! I've done all-grain for years, but thanks to a mis-communication with my wife, I ended up with 6lbs of Wheat DME. I also had a hefe yeast cake. And 2# of honey. So I did exactly what you are thinking of doing. I brewed as normal, and added the honey with 5m left in the boil (slowly, stirring like mad). It took a really long time to ferment despite using a good amount of yeast slurry (probably too much).

I just now tested it from the carboy and it is a little dry (1.009 from 1.054), but the honey is shining through and really compliments the banana-clove from the WYeast 3068. I'm going crash cool, and start drinking this next week. Looking forward to it!

I will say that the honey flavor seems to disguise the actual dryness. It is dry by the numbers, but doesn't taste that way. We'll see after it carbonates. I would add less than 2# of honey if you're worried about dryness.

2. Hefeweizen
3. BYO 15th anniversary Ale
4. Utah Fresh Pressed cider

Old 08-07-2010, 08:36 PM   #4
hefhead25
Recipes 

Awesome! Thanks that sounds great. Couple questions, how long did the fermentation take and what kind of honey did you use?

Old 08-08-2010, 12:14 AM   #5
curlyfat
Recipes 

It took almost three weeks to ferment down! It shot to about 1.020 in less than a week, and then just tottered along for another two weeks before bottoming out. I just used Walmart Clover Honey. Nothing fancy.

2. Hefeweizen

Old 08-09-2010, 09:12 AM   #6
curlyfat
Recipes 

Ok, I crashed, carbed and tasted. It was pretty dry, causing a slightly unpleasant bitterness. I now would strongly recommend using 1lb or less honey with an extract recipe. I might try this all-grain with mash temps around 156.

2. Hefeweizen

Old 08-09-2010, 09:54 AM   #7
zahrndt_usmc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ive heard that you should add it to your secondary, becuase the yeast carries off the honey flavor.. Ive tried a honey ale where I did that and it came out awesome (scored a 45 in the last comp i entered it in to) but honey in a hef, that sounds like an awesome idea. please post how it came out because id bet it really hype up the bananas taste, and I may just try that on my next hef.

ZFB: Zahrndt Family Brewing, Brewing since March 2010 and loving every minute of it! John Palmer is my hero.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:28 PM   #8
hefhead25
Recipes 

Thanks guys I really appreciate the help and I think I'm going to go with secondary option. Iknow it might have to sit for a week or so on the honey in there but was wondering, if you where to do it how long would you leave it in there?

Old 08-31-2010, 10:21 PM   #9
hoptastic
Recipes 

I am adding honey to an american wheat im currently brewing but wanted a difinitive answer on how and when to add it, because it seems everyone has a different opinion, when i stumbled upon this website http://www.honey.com/images/downloads/home_brew.pdf , This is how i will be doing it, cheers!

Old 08-31-2010, 10:30 PM   #10
tenchu_11
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

when making mead I know meaders like me have to add yeast nutriet. Since Honey dosn't isn't as nurishing as Malt. Maybe thats why it takes so long to ferment out. Just my 2 centabos

Quick Reply