Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Vanilla Imperial Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013, 03:38 AM   #21
WeBrew2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrbetz

I'm not going to lie I like the idea you're doing with the vanilla beans, do you think it would turn out with out if I also add oak to the secondary? What's your thoughts
So I'm sure I'm too late to comment but i just thought i would toss out there that the best extract kit I've done so far (and i've only done about 6-8 )was a bourbon barrel porter from Northern brewer. It sounds fairly similar (though much less boozy) to this one. Some of the comments suggested soaking the oak cubes in bourbon for like 48 hours and adding vanilla (i think we went the cheap route and just put in extract). It was amazing and sadly the bottles were go e tooo quickly. I have a feeling there is no bad way to combine bourbon, oak vanilla and stou/porter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 03:53 AM   #22
pkrath84
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Reading this thread has me REALLY excited to brew my RIS this week.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #23
sweed
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlong8020 View Post

So did you primary for two weeks secondary for two months and then you're going to bottle condition for nine months????
My primary was a month. I wanted to bulk age this longer for 3-4 months, but I figured this was good, and will bring it home to my parents at Easter to store in their basement. These have no business being opened before 6 months, so the longer the better. I will keep a few to test every couple months.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:51 AM   #24
sweed
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBrew2 View Post

So I'm sure I'm too late to comment but i just thought i would toss out there that the best extract kit I've done so far (and i've only done about 6-8 )was a bourbon barrel porter from Northern brewer. It sounds fairly similar (though much less boozy) to this one. Some of the comments suggested soaking the oak cubes in bourbon for like 48 hours and adding vanilla (i think we went the cheap route and just put in extract). It was amazing and sadly the bottles were go e tooo quickly. I have a feeling there is no bad way to combine bourbon, oak vanilla and stou/porter.
I'll be trying my first RIS I made last June during Easter. Sadly, I only have 2 bombers left, I drank these far too quickly because I didn't have any other news around. I will need to find oak cubes, as chips I used in my first RIS made the oak very pronounced. It did settle down after 6 months or so.
My advice when making big beers, make a lot and keep brewing so you don't drink them too fast!

Old 03-19-2013, 11:52 AM   #25
sweed
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrath84 View Post
Reading this thread has me REALLY excited to brew my RIS this week.
I already want to make another one! Haha

Old 03-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #26
richlong8020
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweed

I already want to make another one! Haha
Hey, do you or did you, have any form of temp control throughout the year to maintain a certain temp? I have nothing but a spare bathroom and really want to make this. But being that its March and going into spring and summer I wonder if that will make a difference.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:49 PM   #27
sweed
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlong8020 View Post

Hey, do you or did you, have any form of temp control throughout the year to maintain a certain temp? I have nothing but a spare bathroom and really want to make this. But being that its March and going into spring and summer I wonder if that will make a difference.
I keep them and will keep them at my parents house in there basement where it doesn't get above like 60 in the summer, esp those hot days. most of the year it's in the 50's. My apartment will get warm in the summer, and I won't keep the AC on when I'm at work.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:07 PM   #28
richlong8020
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Ok so I should have some sort of controlled temp fermentation before I do this. Maybe a small fridge or mini fridge with a controller.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:09 AM   #29
WeBrew2
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlong8020
Ok so I should have some sort of controlled temp fermentation before I do this. Maybe a small fridge or mini fridge with a controller.
Advice from a new brewer who has only brewed extract beers (so take it for what its worth), most of our beers turned out pretty good, without a temperature controlled chamber. That said i live in northern california and we rarely see temps over 90 and any given day wont swing much nore than about 30 degrees, so that is definitely on my side. Brewing in montana or Arizona would be another challenge for sure.

To cool the carboys off on really hot days we've put an old wet t-shirt on them and pointed a fan at it. Its not going to lager anything, but it will pull things down a bit. We also got a heating pad for the cooler winter nights when i gets below 50, again you won't be brewing belgians in michigan, but in a reasonably insulated home it goes the distance. I've also heard people talk about sitting the carboy in a cooler and puttting water in it. Then freezing some water in old gatorade bottles and such, then when things heat up, drop in a frozen bottle or two to bring ypur temps back down. (im sure a creative way of heating it exists, but the heating pad seems to work pretty well). Not my idea, I take no credit, but seems reasonable.

After all that though, I'd be a liar if i said i didn't really wish i had the space and money to get an old chest freezer to put a temperature cotroller in and make my own fermentation chamber.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:05 AM   #30
richlong8020
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

That's a lot of info. But keeping this info in mind I hear a RIS callin my name . I'll brew this hopefully in a week or two.

Quick Reply