Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Vanilla Flavor Cream Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2006, 11:47 PM   #1
Evets
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Default Vanilla Flavor Cream Ale

Hi guys,
My son, who is a newer brewer than even myself, would like to add some vanilla flavor to his upcoming cream ale brew. I believe he is using a "Brewers Best" extract kit. I was thinking maybe a little vanilla extract in the secondary, maybe?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2006, 12:57 AM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

That works fine, I put vanilla extract in my brown ales some times. If you do it in the secondary or in the priming pail, you can adjust it. I'd use an ounce in five gallons to start.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-19-2006, 02:06 AM   #3
makingitgood
Recipes 

Just make sure you dont add to much, i tryed adding some to a bottle of beer i added a little then tasted it, a little more then tasted it, then i was at the to much point were it was probly a ounce in the bottle, Lets just say it was good at the 1st little point, but at the 2nd... it was bad.

Old 06-19-2006, 01:29 PM   #4
Wolf

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I added 2 ounces to my Brewers Best Cream Ale in secondary and will be bottling in the next few days. I'll let you know how it tastes at bottling and after about a week.

Old 06-19-2006, 07:26 PM   #5
JRGSPE73

Recipes 

There's a recipe on this forum for a Caramel Vanilla Creme Ale that has been getting rave reviews...quite a few people have made it, and I have yet to hear of a batch coming out bad. Credit to Cheesefood for coming up with the idea.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=19258

Might be worth looking into.

"You sir, are drunk!"
"And you ma'am, are ugly, but when I wake up, I will be sober..."
-Sir Winston Churchill

Primary #1:
Air
Primary #2 (Plastic): Air
Secondary: Air
Bottled/Conditioning:

Bottled/Drinking: Nut Brown Ale (First Batch), Copperhead Amber Ale (Delicious!)
On The Horizon: Procrastination IPA, DunkelWeizen, Belgian Wit, Caramel Vanilla Creme Ale, Mocha Espresso Porter

Old 06-20-2006, 03:33 AM   #6
grego2
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRGSPE73
There's a recipe on this forum for a Caramel Vanilla Creme Ale that has been getting rave reviews...quite a few people have made it, and I have yet to hear of a batch coming out bad. Credit to Cheesefood for coming up with the idea.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=19258

Might be worth looking into.
+1
I have that brew in the secondary right now, as soon as I get a chance before heading up to Washington next week, I would like to bottle it. Maybe take a sixer or two for the friends up there.

Old 06-29-2006, 12:48 PM   #7
Wolf

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Okay, so I cracked open one of my Vanilla Cream Ale's last night. Only been bottled for a week, but I always drink one at 1 and 2 weeks. Nice head, tasted good, but NO vanilla taste at all.
When dumping out the dregs of the secondary after bottling I noticed a strong vanilla smell. I had added 2 oz of vanilla extract to the secondary. I just dumped it in. Should I have mixed it in some boiled water or something before adding it? COuld the extract have just settled right to the bottom?

Thoughts? Suggestions? Insults on what a dumb-a** I am?

Old 06-29-2006, 04:34 PM   #8
grego2
Recipes 

Bottled mine a couple of days ago and it smelt good, real strong vanilla taste and smell. I guess in a week I'll see if it turned out like yoors. I added 4 oz's when priming, so I'm hoping that I will still be able to taste the vanilla.

Old 06-29-2006, 11:26 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4286 Times on 3123 Posts
Likes Given: 831

I just started the vanilla caramel cream, and I put two ounces in the primary. I'll taste it before secondary and see how it is. I want a hint of vanilla, but I don't want it to taste like candy (or worse- cream soda!) I think I will taste before any additions so that it's LESS than what I want. I can add some more during priming, too if I think it needs it. I wonder if the vanilla might get stronger tasting the longer it conditions, or if the vanilla will mellow.

Lorena

Old 06-30-2006, 12:00 AM   #10
jcarson83

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

Has anyone tried a real vanilla bean. I cook a lot and every once in a while I'll use a vanilla bean (sometimes in a salad dressing). There is a huge difference in flavor and aroma. I would think the aroma it would add to a good stout would be great.

Quick Reply