Using wyeast 1945 NB Neobritannia above 74

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biohaz7331

Reaction score
Alright so I am about to get all my new brewing equipment and start brewing actual 5 gallon batches of beer. I have ordered quite a lot and don't really want to spend too much more. I am a College student (legal, senior year) and I am in a apartment that has no a/c. I started to think about getting everything ready, and I realized the yeast needs a temperature of 66-74. It has been averaging about 78-82 during the day. My question is will the yeast be okay or should I not even bother brewing until I set up a mini fridge with a temp controller. I thought it would start to cool off around here by late August but it still hasn't been getting cold out like I was hoping. Any suggestions or advice would be great. As a side note I cannot use a bath tub because I have a small shower and I would like to avoid using a tub and ice because it is inconsistent. Lastly would it be cheaper to get an in window a/c unit or set up a fridge with temp control?

My opinion is that you will get some off flavors at a temp of 78-82. The fermenter is generally going to run warmer than your airtemp, so youd probably be fermenting in the low/middle 80s. Thats not good. My basement is middles sixties and I usually use a swamp cooler the first week or so.

Since you ruled out a swamp cooler, the only suggestion I can make beyond a fridge is a closet with an AC unit.

Alright thanks I think I will do the a/c unit so I can also have some comfort. Would it be fine If I had it in a window to a small room (12'x12') also is it better to cool the whole room or area instead of a fridge or is it just cheaper and safer because your beer won't freeze if there is no temp controller?

Not sure which is cheaper. Ive seen temp controllers on amazon cheap and you can pick up a old dorm fridge cheap on craigslist. An old AC unit is porbably dirt cheap on craigslist. I suggested a closet because its would be less work/cost for the AC to keep the temps down, I doubt an AC system could freeze anything.

Youre in State College. Three weeks from now youll have highs in the low 70s to high 60s. Give it some time and youll be good.

Yeah your right I would prefer to be able to control it year round but I believe it would be less work and more comfortable for me to just get an a/c unit for now. I just wanted to get some community input before I went and bought it and then found out it wouldn't work. Thanks for the input!

For anyone still glancing at this or interested I got a Kenmore 8000 btu and it keeps my fermenter at a cool 68 in the room I have it in and the rest of the apartment around 71-75 throughout the warmest parts of the day.

Just remember that your wort is going to be up to 10 degrees warmer than the rest of your apartment. Do you have a fermometer to put on the outside of the primary to see what the temp is?

Yes the fermometer reading is at 68-72 and my thermometer that sits beside the fermenter reads 66-68. I have it so the a/c is on all the time and it just varies how much it runs the compressor depending on its temp reading.

Back