Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Using Irish Moss

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2009, 01:15 PM   #11
Wayne1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by headfullahops View Post
From what I understand, IM facilitates clumping of proteins at the hot break, which occurs as the wort is being cooled from boiling temps to pitching temps. For most of us, that all happens in the kettle.
You might be a bit confused between Hot and Cold Break.

From HoW To Brew by John Palmer:

"Hot Break: Proteins that coagulate and fall out of solution during the wort boil.
Cold Break: Proteins that coagulate and fall out of solution when the wort is rapidly cooled prior to pitching the yeast."

You are correct that Irish Moss help settle out the haze causing proteins post boil.

It will continue to work in the fermenter after the krausen has lowered. You should see tighter clumps at the bottom of your fermenter when you use Irish Moss.

I was wrong about it remaining in the Kettle. I was confusing the trub pile with the haze causing proteins.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2009, 01:23 PM   #12
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 530 Times on 403 Posts
Likes Given: 76

If clear beer is important to you. Also consider gelatin before you bottle/keg

Old 06-04-2009, 02:28 PM   #13
TommyBoy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

+1 on Whirlfloc. I have an awesome pic on my camera of a carboy right after chilling with Whirlfloc being used. Let me upload it later to my PC at home and post it. Whirlfloc isn't cheap but it works great!

Heros are made 10 gallons at a time.

Kegged/On Tap - Double IPA
Conditioning - Orange Ale

Old 06-04-2009, 03:19 PM   #14
Limited Visibility
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBoy View Post
+1 on Whirlfloc. I have an awesome pic on my camera of a carboy right after chilling with Whirlfloc being used. Let me upload it later to my PC at home and post it. Whirlfloc isn't cheap but it works great!

please do!!

Old 08-10-2010, 08:14 PM   #15
hahnderosa
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Fresh Moss

So, I'm in PEI which has an abundance of Irish Moss this time of year due to storms at sea and nice winds coming into shore. You can pick the stuff up right on the beach. I cleaned it and rinsed it several times and then dried it in the sun. I plan to chop it up later before adding it to the boil to increase the surface area on the fibers when rehydrating it in the boil.

If I understand the process of creating the collagen by soaking the moss, then mixing that with the wort to create a flocculant to clear the wort, then most of what is posted in this thread makes sense. I wonder why a liquid or paste form of the collagen isn't offered for home brewers since that's what the cosmetics and toothpaste industries use. Seems to me the rehydration and boil time could be reduced. Anyone had any experience using natural moss right out of the sea? Am I missing an important step other than getting it super dry prior to packing it into baggies for the freezer?

Old 08-13-2010, 06:34 PM   #16
BoatsAndBrews
Recipes 

Could some one enlighten me as to how you rehydrate IM. Is it as simple as just letting it soak in water before adding it to the wort? Also, should I put it straight into to wort, or in a steeping bag with hops and grains?

Old 08-14-2010, 02:14 PM   #17
hahnderosa
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Let it soak 24 hours in fresh water, change the water after 12 hours. It should be pale and plump (like most of our politicians) when it's ready. Add it directly to the boil, no bag needed as it will precipitate out in the primary.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:15 PM   #18
Sardoman
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

hahnderosa, you might have confused collagen with carageenan. While the first is a protein that acts as a rigid structural component in animal tissues and of late is injected into the faces of vain middle-aged women to make their lips look more puffy, carageenan is a polysaccharide that is derived from many types of seaweed. You can think of it as a "sticky" carbohydrate that proteins stick to and form a big mass of stuck-together molecules. The increased mass of the carbohydrate/protein clump makes them more prone to fall to the bottom of the fermenter rather than remain suspended.

Edit: Oh yeah, harvesting fresh seaweed is very resourceful. I would be interested to hear how it turns out. Good luck! I intend to try the rehydration idea on my next brew.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:09 PM   #19
hahnderosa
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

You're right, I meant carageenan.

Right now, the moss is dried and chopped and sitting in the freezer. I had a whole newspaper sheet covered with the live stuff while drying it and it barely fills a glad snack bag now that it's dried and chopped. I'm beginning to understand why it's fairly pricey considering it's abundant. I'll know how things worked once I'm back home. I'll keep you posted.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:10 PM   #20
MarcSteinhagen
Recipes 

I've been doing research on figuring out of I want to strain my wort or leave it with the hops for primary. I came across this "Adding too much Irish moss negatively affects small proteins responsible for head retention. Too much finings may also reduce Free Amino Acid levels that are crucial in healthy yeast growth and clean fermentation." here: http://www.homebrewersassociation.or...th-irish-moss/

Anyone have further thoughts?

-Marc Steinhagen

Quick Reply