Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Unintentional Bitterness

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2006, 12:31 AM   #1
Hopfan
Nice Beaver....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Unintentional Bitterness

I just did my first batch with my new brew keggle. On flameout, I started running thru my newly built CFC and everything was working beautifully except that the wort was much darker than I expected. This was a bitter kit that I got from Austin Homebrew; Still playing around with extract until I know more to try an AG. My problem is that I did not get enough of a stir during the boil, in addition to having the heat too high, and some of the extract scorched on the bottom of the keggle which caused the dark color. I tasted the sample from my OG test and it had a bitter taste similar to a burnt chocolate chip cookie, but wasn't horrible. I'm sitting here looking at the carboys and it looks more like a stout than an ale. Is my brew ruined? Will fermentation be affected? Thanks

Zip ties are the duct tape of the 21st century

Bad Dog Brewing
Sit...Stay

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2006, 12:44 AM   #2
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Fermentation will be fine. You may have to let it age for quite a while, but mostly the scorchy flavor will dissapate. Mostly.

Er, so I've heard...

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Old 11-02-2006, 12:59 AM   #3
Hopfan
Nice Beaver....

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Cheyco
Fermentation will be fine. You may have to let it age for quite a while, but mostly the scorchy flavor will dissapate. Mostly.

Er, so I've heard...

I was hoping that was the case. It's in the primary for about 3 hours now and starting to bubble a bit.

I guess I can always pass it off as a really thin stout

Thanks for the advice that's totally based on others' experiences...

Zip ties are the duct tape of the 21st century

Bad Dog Brewing
Sit...Stay

Quick Reply