Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > UK 2row extract equivilant

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2010, 11:14 AM   #1
korgman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default UK 2row extract equivilant

I've been doing AG for a year and have no idea about extracts anymore. What would be equivilant or close to 10 lbs of UK 2 Row? Dry or liquid...makes no difference. Need a little extra punch in an upcoming brew and I don't have enough space in my mash tun for all the grain.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2010, 12:21 PM   #2
Token
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewin...tra-light.html

Old 03-24-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

+1 Muntons is made in the UK, so that's the base malt they'd be using.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 03-24-2010, 04:12 PM   #4
korgman
Recipes 

And is it pound per pound? 10 lbs DME gonna give me roughly the same conversion as 10 lbs AG mash?

Old 03-24-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
Neonsilver
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by korgman View Post
And is it pound per pound? 10 lbs DME gonna give me roughly the same conversion as 10 lbs AG mash?
Not even close, 10 lbs of DME gives you a 1.088 and 10 lbs AG is 1.054. Looks like 6 lbs 2 oz will give you the same as a 10 lb AG and 6 lbs even is 1.053 so close enough.

On deck - AAA x2, Irish red
Primary - Baltic porter, IIPA, Mild, ESB, Milk stout, Scottish 80
Secondary - American Barleywine
Bottled - Gingerbread ale, IPA, Brown porter, RIS, Better than dead x2, APA x2, Kolsch

Old 03-26-2010, 12:17 AM   #6
korgman
Recipes 

I added Muntons DME as an ingredient to my ProMash recipe and it has it listed under "Potential SG pppg" as 1.046. The radio button for the recipe is set to Potential though. If I flip that button to extract, the column name becomes Extract SG and it jumps to 1.084, but then all the SG's for my grains change.

Now I'm getting scared. I don't think ProMash can compute what I'm trying to do.

So, basically, doing an all grain mash with 20 pounds of grain, getting 12 gallons out of that mash, and boiling down. I'm added 6-10 lbs of DME to make up for the 10 extra pounds of UK 2row that I don't have space for in the mash tun. What do you think Neonsilver, stick with the 6lbs?

Old 03-26-2010, 12:23 AM   #7
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Since you're using base grain and extract technically you're doing a Partial Mash, maybe that will sort it all out properly?

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 03-26-2010, 12:51 PM   #8
Neonsilver
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by korgman View Post
So, basically, doing an all grain mash with 20 pounds of grain, getting 12 gallons out of that mash, and boiling down. I'm added 6-10 lbs of DME to make up for the 10 extra pounds of UK 2row that I don't have space for in the mash tun. What do you think Neonsilver, stick with the 6lbs?
I'd say wait until you have a gravity reading and then adjust based on what you are missing. Sounds like it should be around 6 lbs though. That should help account for any change in your efficiency.

On deck - AAA x2, Irish red
Primary - Baltic porter, IIPA, Mild, ESB, Milk stout, Scottish 80
Secondary - American Barleywine
Bottled - Gingerbread ale, IPA, Brown porter, RIS, Better than dead x2, APA x2, Kolsch

Quick Reply