Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Uh-Oh!! Not enough grist??

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2006, 10:31 PM   #1
evans5150
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 68
Default Uh-Oh!! Not enough grist??

Hello everyone. Hope you are all enjoying your weekend with at least a few homebrews!

I have a question. I brewed my very first homebrew back on December 30th, 2005. It has now been bottled for 3 weeks and I still have an overwhelming hop bitterness to it. It was supposed to be a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone and I JUST noticed something last night in the recipe. Here are the ingredients:

6 lbs. Light Malt Extract
1 lb Crushed 60L Caramel Malt
2 oz. Cascade Hops
2 oz. Perle Hops

Sounds about right I believe....except for the fact that I just realized that the guy at my local Homebrew store had only given me the 3 lb. container of Light Malt Extract!! I'm new to this so I guess I didn't think about it until I brewed my second batch last night and I was reviewing my notes. I brewed a Red Ale last night that called for:

6 lbs. Amber Malt Extract
1 lb Crushed 60L Caramel Malt
1 lb Light DME
2 oz. Cascade Hops
2 oz. Willamette Hops

That made me think that there wasn't nearly enough grist for my SNPA clone! Is this why my hops are still so overwhelming??

Thanks for all of your help....

evans5150

__________________
evans5150 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2006, 10:34 PM   #2
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Dude's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Knob Noster, Missouri
Posts: 8,843
Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evans5150
Hello everyone. Hope you are all enjoying your weekend with at least a few homebrews!

I have a question. I brewed my very first homebrew back on December 30th, 2005. It has now been bottled for 3 weeks and I still have an overwhelming hop bitterness to it. It was supposed to be a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone and I JUST noticed something last night in the recipe. Here are the ingredients:

6 lbs. Light Malt Extract
1 lb Crushed 60L Caramel Malt
2 oz. Cascade Hops
2 oz. Perle Hops

Sounds about right I believe....except for the fact that I just realized that the guy at my local Homebrew store had only given me the 3 lb. container of Light Malt Extract!! I'm new to this so I guess I didn't think about it until I brewed my second batch last night and I was reviewing my notes. I brewed a Red Ale last night that called for:

6 lbs. Amber Malt Extract
1 lb Crushed 60L Caramel Malt
1 lb Light DME
2 oz. Cascade Hops
2 oz. Willamette Hops

That made me think that there wasn't nearly enough grist for my SNPA clone! Is this why my hops are still so overwhelming??

Thanks for all of your help....

evans5150
That definitley seems to be the problem!

The only real recourse now is to drink it anyway, or brew up another batch with less hops and blend the 2. I wouldn't throw it away--I'd brew another one and blend them, as it can only help you for future batches if you need to adjust something. Use this as a test.
__________________
On Tap: Lake Walk Pale Ale -- Eternity (Raspberry Stout) -- Nutrocker -- Donnybrook Dark
Primary: Lake Walk Pale Ale
Secondary: Summit IPA
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com
Dude is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2006, 10:50 PM   #3
evans5150
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 68
Default

Thanks Dude....I figured that HAD to be it. I did everything right and there just isn't enough of the Sierra Nevada malty mouthfeel. (PS...I'm headed to the Sierra Nevada Brewery next weekend...I'll have a few pints for you.)

I definitely had NOT intention to throw out my brews....there is still a decent enough alcohol content to it (around 4.1%). SNPA is around 5.5% I believe (don't have a bottle of it around.) The other red flag happened this morning when I was about to pitch the yeast for my Red Ale. My OG for the Red Ale is 1.056 while my SNPA clone was 1.044. I know the Red should be a bit higher but that is a big difference!! Oh well...you live and you learn. That was my first batch and I will definitely pay more attention next time. I went into the store green but I am now educated...so I will gather the ingredients MYSELF from now on!! This time I was educated enough to pick out my own liquid yeast for the Red Ale (California Ale Yeast). I'm getting there and I'm VERY addicted!!

Thanks again.....


evans5150

__________________
evans5150 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2006, 12:48 AM   #4
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
david_42's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Posts: 25,651
Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Default

That's a lot of hops for the ABV. Sounds like Hop Helper.

__________________

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

david_42 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2006, 12:56 AM   #5
evans5150
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
That's a lot of hops for the ABV. Sounds like Hop Helper.
And yes...it tastes that way too!
__________________
evans5150 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2006, 01:06 AM   #6
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Dude's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Knob Noster, Missouri
Posts: 8,843
Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
That's a lot of hops for the ABV. Sounds like Hop Helper.
Yeah, I was thinking that same thing earlier too, 2 ounce hop additions (especially bittering) is quite a bit!!!!!!
__________________
On Tap: Lake Walk Pale Ale -- Eternity (Raspberry Stout) -- Nutrocker -- Donnybrook Dark
Primary: Lake Walk Pale Ale
Secondary: Summit IPA
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com
Dude is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2006, 02:16 AM   #7
evans5150
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
Yeah, I was thinking that same thing earlier too, 2 ounce hop additions (especially bittering) is quite a bit!!!!!!

But would that be a good amount had I used 6 lbs. of Light Malt Extract instead of 3 lbs.?
__________________
evans5150 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2006, 03:50 AM   #8
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Dude's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Knob Noster, Missouri
Posts: 8,843
Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evans5150
But would that be a good amount had I used 6 lbs. of Light Malt Extract instead of 3 lbs.?
Assuming you do a full boil, Promash gives that recipe about 60 IBUs. That is high. If I recall, SNPA is around 30-35 IBUs.

Granted if you do a partial boil I believe you need more hops--but I haven't ever computed that. Hopefully the extract experts in here can chime in on that, if you do partial boils.
__________________
On Tap: Lake Walk Pale Ale -- Eternity (Raspberry Stout) -- Nutrocker -- Donnybrook Dark
Primary: Lake Walk Pale Ale
Secondary: Summit IPA
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com
Dude is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2006, 03:22 PM   #9
casebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 847
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default

Evans math don't add up. His hoppy SNPA would have had an OG of 1.028 if it had half the ingredients of his Red ALE @ 1.056. Insted, he got 1.044. Is there a 4# can he might have got? Did he use pellet hops insted of fresh/whole?

If he checked his OG to find 1.044, that was the time to fix it, by adding less hops in the boil or more extract to the fermenter. Maybe developing the habit of checking SG of the sparged wort is a good idea?

Good thing about a forum, we all learn from each other's mistakes.

__________________

So far, I've had more experience thinking than I've had brewing....you don't think they are mutually exclusive, do you?

72 batches so far,
48 wine, mostly Loquat, peach, plum, prickly pear
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"

casebrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2006, 03:44 PM   #10
Lounge Lizard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Lounge Lizard's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 552
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude

Granted if you do a partial boil I believe you need more hops--but I haven't ever computed that. Hopefully the extract experts in here can chime in on that, if you do partial boils.


No expert, but when I was calculating using The Recipator, the IBUs were reduced by a 1/3 or more when doing a 2.5 gallon boil.

I was freaking after I brewed my SNPA clone, beacause I thought I had used too much hops. When I racked it and took a sample, the hops weren't bad at all. In fact, it might could have used more hops in the boil.

The Recipator seems to know what it is talking about....
__________________
Lounge Lizard is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grist Mill Ressurected CereousBrewer Equipment/Sanitation 1 10-27-2009 02:19 PM
Calculate grist by percentages? eulipion2 Brewing Software 3 06-03-2009 01:31 PM
Adding Grist to Water or Water to Grist michael.berta All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 17 03-27-2009 05:22 AM
Stale Grist? Bopper General Techniques 4 05-18-2006 10:31 PM
Grist Four and Tannins digdan All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 6 04-10-2006 03:23 PM