Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > True Brew Irish Stout - How to get better taste and mouthfeel?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2010, 06:19 PM   #11
AlterCow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechyDork View Post
How long are you letting your beers age in the bottle before trying them?

When i was doing extract brews i found that all of my beers had a twang to them after only three weeks sitting 65F. when i started putting them away and letting them age for 5-6 weeks and then letting them sit in the fridge for a week before sampling they were much much better beers. Even with my IPAs this was true, and i did not notice much loss of hop aroma/flavor in 6 weeks vs 3 weeks.
I am trying them every week, at least one.

Right now I have an extract IPA that really does not resemble an IPA, but a nice ale all the same. It has aged 3 months. There is still a noticeable twang to it, but the mouthfeel and overall drink is good. It certainly has mellowed during the time it has sat at 65*.

I have an ESB that has aged about a month and a half. The twang is most noticeable. I will leave this beast alone for another month.

My situation could be worse. At least I have four local breweries to keep my taste buds busy until I can make a great batch of beer. I figure I will make this Stout this week.

So now here is a new question: how much DME should I use to substitute for LME? I have a selection of bulk DME on hand and thought it would be a good experiment/alternative to the LME that is provided with the kit.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2010, 01:13 AM   #12
AlterCow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Ok, about 4 days ago I brewed my True Brew kit and substituted the can of dark LME for 3 lbs of dark DME, adding to the other 2lbs of dark DME given in the batch. Since the LME was hopped I substituted the missing hops with an oz of Centennial. The kit came with 2oz of First Golden hops. I also substituted the muntons dry yeast with Wyeast liquid British Ale II yeast.

So, this is my own bastardized version of the kit I had. We will see how this turns out. Do any of you folks whom have experience messing around with recipies have any input?

Extract Exercises
Primary: Amber-Weiss ?%ABV
Aging: Dark Amber Ale 3%ABV, and Sweet IPA 6.74%ABV.
Consumed: Irish Stout 4-5%ABV, All Malt Amber 6%ABV, Porter ?%ABV, Dead Guy Ale Clone ?%ABV
Up Next: Smoked Chocolate Milk Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply