Trouble with honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anacrusis

Reaction score
I recently gave a friend a really simple extract recipe for a honey wheat beer that I had a lot of success with. The recipe calls for a pound (16 oz) of honey in the last 5 min. of boil. My friend made it and told me his original gravity was 1.063, but it should have been around 1.036. We figured out that he used fluid ounces instead of weighing the honey, in turn causing him to add way more than called for. Besides increased fermentation time and alcohol content, what other issues should he look out for? I'm thinking it'll taste like a honey mead. Anyone have any similar experiences?

Thanks

Honey has about the same gravity as LME, around 1.450, so your friend added about 1.5 lbs instead of 1 lb. That doesn't account for the gravity difference. That would have taken an extra 3 lbs (AKA a quart) of honey. I'd guess a mixing problem.

Sounds like another case of concentrated wort not being mixed well with the diluting water.

Back