Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Triple taste horrid

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2009, 12:05 AM   #1
cabledawg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Triple taste horrid

Brewed the ivan modified triple on 12-6-09
8.00 lb Pilsen Light Extract (DME)
0.25 lb Aromatic Malt (grain)
0.25 lb Cara-Pils (grain)
0.25 lb Munich Malt (grain)
2.00 lb Candi Sugar

1.50 oz Goldings, East Kent (45 min)
1.00 oz Hallertauer (15 min)

1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient
2 Pkgs White Labs #WLP500

with an O.G. of 1.100. Did a late addition of most of the lme so as not to produce more un-fermentables. Fermentation went like normal. Transfered to tap and draft today(F.G. 1.020) and man it taste horrid. No sign of infection or any thing. Used spring water for the boil like normal. Taste was that of soap and bad wine. I know it is not much to go on but that all I got.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2009, 12:15 AM   #2
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 38

You sure it's ready to drink at this point? Not sure what the going theory is on DMS in pilsen extracts. I know there's an argument that much of it is driven out during the creation of the extract, but, I'm not sure about all of it. With a late addition on the extract, that would be one of my concerns. Not sure if that would result in a soapy flavor though. I've heard that high temps can sometimes result in that character and have seen mention of the same thing with EKG hops. Don't know, just throwing out ideas.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 12-29-2009, 12:29 AM   #3
cabledawg
Recipes 

I put it in the TAD container to card and put it in the back of the closet to forget about for a while. Temps were kept at a solid 62-63 in a water bath. I have brewed 10 beers and none of them have tasted this bad out of the primary. Never thought of DMS with DME that may be it. Thanks for replying so quickly

Old 12-29-2009, 12:39 AM   #4
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Well, I couldn't say for sure if DMS would cause this type of flavor. I do believe that DMS can still be a concern with extracts and, I would think, a late addition might accentuate that. Could be it's just too young at this point. Maybe some more experienced tripel brewers have some ideas?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 12-29-2009, 01:13 AM   #5
cabledawg
Recipes 

Well I have brewed three beers over 1.090 and none of them taste that bad out of the primary. I hope long term storage is the answer

Old 12-29-2009, 03:51 PM   #6
Neonsilver
Recipes 

This is an extremely light beer (in color and taste) for the amount of fermentables that are in it. This is one you need to age for a long period of time before the complex flavors and light body merge and create something wonderful. Put it aside for another three months at least and see if it's any better.

On deck - AAA x2, Irish red
Primary - Baltic porter, IIPA, Mild, ESB, Milk stout, Scottish 80
Secondary - American Barleywine
Bottled - Gingerbread ale, IPA, Brown porter, RIS, Better than dead x2, APA x2, Kolsch

Old 12-29-2009, 03:56 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

With Tripels we are talking months before they come into their own. We're not talking a few weeks here, more like 6-12 months before it is going to come into it's own.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-29-2009, 04:26 PM   #8
cabledawg
Recipes 

Ok, thanks for all the advice. Will revisit the triple in about 3-6 months

Old 12-30-2009, 11:25 AM   #9
h4rdluck
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

yea phew.. that is a heavy bastard. That 2 pounds of candi sugar is most likely what affecting the taste the most, and the reason for letting that bad boy brew sit and condition for another 4 months :P...

Old 12-30-2009, 12:01 PM   #10
lehr
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
With Tripels we are talking months before they come into their own. We're not talking a few weeks here, more like 6-12 months before it is going to come into it's own.
I must side with Revvy on this one trips are made for cellaring.

Pat

Quick Reply