Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Tried hard to ruin my first brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2008, 08:47 PM   #11
idkid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefelix
I just bottled my first brew last night and did siphon with my mouth. Am I screwed or what? I didnt know what else I was supposed to do.
You're not necessarily screwed, but the chances of contamination are much higher. I just recently purchased an autosiphon (see the pic above for an example) and they work magically. Otherwise using the gravity method is pretty easy. But yeah, you should never use your mouth as it introduces the bacteria you have to the beer. But RDWHAHB. You can't do anything about it now. There's a good chance you could be fine. And if not, well there's always more brewing to be done.

Tiocfaidh Ar La

"I kissed the bottle, I shoulda been kissin' you"-jawbreaker

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2008, 09:02 PM   #12
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
I just bottled my first brew last night and did siphon with my mouth. Am I screwed or what? I didnt know what else I was supposed to do.
Chances are you'll be fine, don't worry. You should think about ordering an auto-syphon as has been suggested, they really are the best investment in your brewery for less than $10. I'll put the Vinator up there as #2 if you bottle.

And welcome to HBT!

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 03-24-2008, 09:20 PM   #13
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I think I've brewed about 6 batches over 13 years (ya, I've been in and out of the hobby) with various methods of starting siphon. The two I did in college in '95 were suck started, one week in primary, one to two in bottles. The three or four I did about six winters ago were a mix of suck starts and the siphon tube filled with one-step, again with aging times that most here will scoff at . Out of all of those, I was otherwise a fanatic about sanitation, albeit with the now scorned one step sanitizer(on sat. I jumped and purchased an auto siphon and some star san). But guess what? Every batch resulted in BEER!! I've had my bad bottles with a lumpy ring around the neck, I've drank beer that was green and undercarbonated. I've probably never let anything I've made reach it's full potential, but I've never dumped one out. Now that I'm older and have gained some patience, I'm going to let stuff take it's time and keep brewing more. I'm sure that if you do the same you'll wind up with something that will put a smile on your face, or at least give you fuel on what to do better next time.

Last edited by cuinrearview; 03-24-2008 at 09:22 PM.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:59 AM   #14
bluefelix
Recipes 

Right on. Thanks guys. I have a bottle filler and that worked great. Next time I will look into the autosiphon thing. I hope it turns out good. Its got to be in the bottle for 2 weeks, right?

Old 03-25-2008, 03:40 AM   #15
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Right on. Thanks guys. I have a bottle filler and that worked great. Next time I will look into the autosiphon thing. I hope it turns out good. Its got to be in the bottle for 2 weeks, right?
3 would be better, but you'll need at least 2 weeks just to carbonate the brew depending on the temperature you store the bottles at.

For most average strength beers they will usually hit their peak about 6 weeks from brew day (this is just a generalization obviously).

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 03-25-2008, 03:46 AM   #16
rbone
Recipes 

I have always used my mouth to siphon. I guess this is bad to do?

Old 03-25-2008, 04:06 AM   #17
bluefelix
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsul
3 would be better, but you'll need at least 2 weeks just to carbonate the brew depending on the temperature you store the bottles at.

For most average strength beers they will usually hit their peak about 6 weeks from brew day (this is just a generalization obviously).
3 weeks huh? Thats going to be tough!! Maybe we will try a couple after 2 and take our time at getting to the rest of them.

I am brewing a nut brown from a kit that I got from a place in Riverside CA called More Beer if anyone is familiar with the place. We boiled it, had it in the first fermenter for a week, then had it in the second for a week, now it is bottled.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:32 AM   #18
tranceamerica
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Once, I siphoned w/my mouth...and got a mouthfull...and was so suprised (must have been drunk) that I spit the whole thing into the bottling bucket...and proceeded to siphon all the beer into the bottling bucket...and bottle it, spit and all.

it was GREAT!!!

so, don't worry...

but, like me, in the future...start the siphon a different way. Now, I fill my hose as full as I can get it with water, attach it to the racking cane, and start the siphon into a pan on the side. when the beer fills the hose, I quickly transfer the hose over to the bottling bucket. you can do the same thing with a bottling wand.

Primary: beer, mead, cider

Drinking: beer, mead, cider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
...except for this d@mned tail I am fine.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:08 AM   #19
Bearphin
Recipes 

Quote:
Dont worry too much. I used to do that too before I bought one of the siphons pictured on the first page. I never noticed a problem with it.

Not that it should be done but this is one very forgiving hobby. Amazing how much you can do wrong and still make a good brew!

Old 04-06-2008, 03:02 PM   #20
7Enigma
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel
I wish they made these for the aquarium hobby! I woulda bought one of these when i first started. It sure as hell beats a mouth full of fish water!

that's all I've ever used too.
For the aquarium hobby (where I'm much more experienced) they have hand operated one way ball valves. You squeeze it quickly and it starts a siphon. What I use now is even simpler. It's just a 5 foot piece of tubing. I walk over to the sink, fill the tubing up 3/4 full or so and hold then ends closed. Insert one end into the tank, and the other to the waste bucket (lower obviously) and the siphon is ready to go. This is basically what people would do without an autosiphon when transferring beer. Just fill the tubing with sanitizer and the siphon will start as soon as you release the tubing end to the secondary/bottling bucket.

Here's a to a fellow fish keeper!

Quick Reply