Transferrung wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

socalbrewer1796

Reaction score
Hey guys i transferred my wort with a siphon into my fermenter and avoided transferring the trub form the hops but I got all of the junked clumped together from th whirflock tablet should I have strained all of that out

If it was just to secondary I wouldn't worry about it. How long was it in the primary for?

It was from brewpot to promary

No, you don't have to siphon or strain your wort. It'll be fine. All the "stuff" will fall to the bottom with the trub. You can do it, if you choose, but I haven't noticed a bit of difference between straining or siphoning and dumping it all in.

Keep in mind that if you siphon, you'll want to oxygenate your wort. I splash the cooled wort like crazy to aerate it, and I even have tons of foam on top from doing that so I don't take other steps to oxygenate it. If you're siphoning, make sure you splash or shake or stir your wort to give it plenty of oxygen after you siphon it.

I like to pour my wort through a fine stainless steel strainer. It helps pull the tub out AND helps to mix and aerate the wort as well. That being said, its not totally necessary and my brews turned out fine before using the strainer.

I sanitize a 5 gallon paint strainer bag from home depot, drape it over my bucket and dump all of the cooled wort through it. I end up squeezing the last half gallon through the bag because of the hop material. Rinse and dry the bag for the next brew.

Hey guys i transferred my wort with a siphon into my fermenter and avoided transferring the trub form the hops but I got all of the junked clumped together from th whirflock tablet should I have strained all of that out
Just found this thread. I BIAB. Took me awhile to learn and find, but now when I transfer from Brew-kettle to fermenter I found a very large strainer that fits nicely over my fermenter. This is great for catching "everything" that comes out. Mainly those large late Hop additions. Can take a "sanitized" (spatula thing) and move the hops upward if needed for smooth draining . I put a colander underneath it but never see anything in it. Also really helps aerate the wort. Hopefully this may help someone that experiences the hoppy transfers and help with getting very clean wort in their fermenter.
Cheers

Attachments​

• 79D47EBB-842E-43BD-9FEB-9180ADA81251.jpeg
    79D47EBB-842E-43BD-9FEB-9180ADA81251.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 8126E7F9-9DDC-4AD9-85B2-EE785AE0AA2B.jpeg
    8126E7F9-9DDC-4AD9-85B2-EE785AE0AA2B.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back