Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Top crap.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2011, 09:57 PM   #1
dooman333
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Top crap.

Not really worried, just looking for some further education. Made a very simple/light extract American Ale (in hopes of ropin in some of my commercial light beer drinkin friends into homebrewin) and it has an obnoxious amount of frothy gunk on the top. Smells great, bubblin good just curious why so much top crap. I've made and American Wheat and a couple ambers before and they didn't have nearly the amount on top. I kinda thought the darker or more ingredient filled beers would have more frothy junk. Recipe only has 3lbs extra light extract, 1 lb sugar and 1oz of saaz hops. Somethin I'm missing?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2011, 11:43 PM   #2
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

That's just Krausen. 100% totally absolutely normal. Some beers have more, some have less. A really big one could be a warm fermentation, or just a particularly vigorous one. Your yeast are also a big influencing factor on krausen qualities.

Also, if you weren't pitching enough yeast, fermenting cool, or just using a slower strain of yeast on previous brews, you might not have had as much krausen.

You're good: it looks gross but will eventually subside. That foam is just another sign of fermentation.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:11 AM   #3
thdrduck
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

It's all cool Doo. Some of my bigger beers require a "blowout tube" the first few days because the krausen needs somewhere to go (better into a bucket then on the floor).

Quick Reply