Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Too much carbonation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2008, 08:25 AM   #1
skerr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Too much carbonation

My brother and I have just bottled our second batch. Our first batch has been bottle for two weeks. We decided to try it (a bit premature I know) and when you open the bottles they foam over for about 5-10 min. Why is it doing this? Should we just let it age longer? Thanks

SKERR

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2008, 08:27 AM   #2
Danek
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Assuming you used a normal amount of priming sugar, then yes, you should leave them three weeks at least (and better four or five). And chill them before opening. Then you should be all good to go.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:54 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by skerr View Post
Our first batch has been bottle for two weeks. We decided to try it (a bit premature I know) and when you open the bottles they foam over for about 5-10 min. Why is it doing this? Should we just let it age longer? Thanks

SKERR
You answered your own question....

Read this, it explains all...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost...&postcount=101

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 05-07-2008 at 01:22 PM.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:51 AM   #4
PeteOz77

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skerr View Post
when you open the bottles they foam over for about 5-10 minSKERR

5 to 10 minutes of foaming over? I suggest you fire up a stopwatch and discover that it's probaly less than a minute. Foaming over for 5-10 minutes would require GALLONS of beer.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:23 AM   #5
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Impossible to give advice without more information. Were you at the proper FG when you bottled? How much priming sugar did you use? A few weeks ago, I opened a bottle of MW's Noble Trappist Ale that had only been in the bottle a few weeks (it had been in the secondary for two months), and wasn't really that cold. When poured, a few ounces foamed up to the top of a pint glass immediately. Now, some weeks later, and poured cold, it won't do that. I suspect that in my case, it was a bit young in the bottle when I did it, since I know that my FG was spot-on, and I just used the sugar (5 oz. of dextrose) that came with the kit.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:56 PM   #6
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteOz77 View Post
5 to 10 minutes of foaming over? I suggest you fire up a stopwatch and discover that it's probaly less than a minute. Foaming over for 5-10 minutes would require GALLONS of beer.
Not true... heh, my buddy came over for a brew day a few weeks back, and brought at Gonzo Porter that he brewed 12 months ago... he said they were gushers... and he was not kidding. We popped them and they sat in the yard foaming over for a good 20 minutes... just a slow constant foam over... it was amazing. We were left with a half bottle of beer each.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:16 PM   #7
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
Not true... heh, my buddy came over for a brew day a few weeks back, and brought at Gonzo Porter that he brewed 12 months ago... he said they were gushers... and he was not kidding. We popped them and they sat in the yard foaming over for a good 20 minutes... just a slow constant foam over... it was amazing. We were left with a half bottle of beer each.
Yep, I will confirm that sort of thing. I've seen it happen more than a few times while judging. Some bottles just keep on foaming over, slowly.

To OP, do like the others said: Give the bottles another week at room temperature and then (at least) an overnight chill.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Quick Reply