The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > too late to boost alc content?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2006, 05:57 PM   #1
kevy_kev
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default too late to boost alc content?

I brewed a vanilla weizen a week ago that came out with a corrected OG of 1.036. It had a VERY active fermentation (blew off my airlock) for a week and last night I transfered it to the secondary with a gravity reading of 1.009 @ 68 Degrees. I think the ABV is somewhere are 3.3% now. I knew my SG was low but figured I wouldnt worry about it since it would be a good hot weather brew. But now I am second guessing myself, something in the 4 range would be good, 3 may be too low.

I added a vanilla bean that was split, scrapped and soaked in about 2oz of vodka for about 30 minutes. Will the bean and vodka supply any more fermentables to boost the alcohol content? Is there any other good way to boost the alcohol now that it is in the secondary and off the trub?

Primary #1:
Secondary #1:
Stout Conical #1:
Keg #1: Celebration IPA
Keg #2: Oyster Stout
Keg #3: Apricot Ale

Gone: Pumpkin Porter, Founders Breakfast Stout Clone, Lemon Lime Hefe, Kiwi Express IPA, Holiday Red, OktoberFast, Rose Hip Honey Ale, Saison, Hot Chocolate Porter, Blonde, Mad Elf Clone, Raison D'Etre Clone, American Light, Oatmeal Stout, American Cream Ale, Doggy Bag (Leftover ingredients brew - California Common).......

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2006, 06:03 PM   #2
budbo
Beer is good
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

You could brew up some more wort and add it, to restart the fermentation but a vanilla bean and vodka won't add fermentables

Old 06-12-2006, 06:46 PM   #3
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You could add some DME/LME (barley or wheat) to boost the alcohol. But you may be better of leaving it alone and bew a new batch. Oftentimes messing with the beer just screwes it up even more.

Kai

Old 06-12-2006, 07:05 PM   #4
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You could always mix it with a stronger brew and leave the original alone. It might be good on its own afterall.

Old 06-12-2006, 07:18 PM   #5
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts

Two words:

Boiler Maker.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 06-12-2006, 08:57 PM   #6
kevy_kev
Recipes 

kai, thats what I was afraid of, messing it up and making it undrinkable. It actually taste pretty good, even with its low alcohol and being warm and flat. I am going to NC in August, maybe I will save it for then so I can drink on the beach all day and not get too bombed in the sun.

I may just have to do a few boiler makers with it, I even have vanilla vodka I could use!!

Primary #1:
Secondary #1:
Stout Conical #1:
Keg #1: Celebration IPA
Keg #2: Oyster Stout
Keg #3: Apricot Ale

Gone: Pumpkin Porter, Founders Breakfast Stout Clone, Lemon Lime Hefe, Kiwi Express IPA, Holiday Red, OktoberFast, Rose Hip Honey Ale, Saison, Hot Chocolate Porter, Blonde, Mad Elf Clone, Raison D'Etre Clone, American Light, Oatmeal Stout, American Cream Ale, Doggy Bag (Leftover ingredients brew - California Common).......

Quick Reply