Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Too early into secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2006, 04:34 AM   #1
mezman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Too early into secondary?

I brewed last Thursday and tonight I racked my beer to the secondary. I didn't take a SG reading before starting the rack because, well, I don't really have a good reason. I guess I figured that 5 days in the primary was long enough. However, the beer has been at the bottom range of the yeast's optimum fermentation temp (about 67 degrees) so I guess it has not been fermenting as fast as I'm used to. Once I moved it to the secondary I got curious and took a SG reading. It was only 1.036!! So now I'm wondering if I took the beer away from it's lovely floating yeast mat too soon since it still has a lot of work to do.

So, now that I'm in the secondary, what am I looking at? I'll check for reforming krausen tomorrow morning, but am I in danger of a stuck ferment? Are there other problems I should be on the lookout for? Or should I just chill and let the beer do it's thing for a few weeks?

Thanks.

Bah!! Who said that??

On Deck:
Primary 1: Kennedizzle Seasonal (Irish Red for St. Paddy's Day)
Secondary:
Keg 1: Cascade APA
Keg 2: Munchner Helles
Keg 3: Nada

Shameless Self Promotion:

Kennedy Photography

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2006, 05:21 AM   #2
Dark_Ale
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Well, depending on how big your beer was......What were the fermentables?
I rack to primary when krausen falls, no matter what the gravity is, Was the beer you tested really saturated, I mean are you sure you got an accurate reading? Did you use a starter? I think you should go 2 or 3 weeks depending on how big the beer was. Did you tast it was it really sweet?
See what the gravity is in a couple of weeks. You could try raising the temp a bit but I would'nt go past 70

Old 06-14-2006, 02:35 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I would re-pitch the yeast. You racked too early and there isn't much else that would get it going again.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-14-2006, 03:37 PM   #4
mezman
Recipes 

It may not be as bad as I feared. I checked on it again this morning and there was already a two inch thick krausen on it.

My OG was 1.055 so it was about half way there when I racked it to the secondary. I did use a starter back when I got it going first and had activity within a few hours.

So David, should I still think about re-pitching, even though there's some decent krausen on it? Or leave it be in the secondary for a few weeks? Thanks.

Bah!! Who said that??

On Deck:
Primary 1: Kennedizzle Seasonal (Irish Red for St. Paddy's Day)
Secondary:
Keg 1: Cascade APA
Keg 2: Munchner Helles
Keg 3: Nada

Shameless Self Promotion:

Kennedy Photography

Old 06-14-2006, 04:04 PM   #5
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I would just leave it as is for a couple of week, then bottle. No doubt others will recommend reracking. It is one that could go either way, and on those I like to minimize intervention in the process.

Old 06-14-2006, 05:12 PM   #6
hungsolo
Recipes 

don't bother repitching. The yeast will finish up. Stuck fermentation just doesn't happen that often from my experience unless its a high gravity brew. Patience.

Quick Reply