Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Thoughts on the Pale Ale recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #1
mattnaik
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Thoughts on the Pale Ale recipe

The idea behind this is to clean out my freezer of some hops I have in there and some other specialty grains I have laying around.

The goal is to make a tasty pale ale. Not over-the-top hoppy with a nice biscuity malt flavor. Looking for a dry finish with very little residual sweetness.

0.5# Caramel 40L
0.4# Biscuit malt
3# golden light DME
3# golden or pale LME (added at 30 min)
0.60 oz Simcoe (60 min)
1 oz Cascade (10 min)
1 oz Cascade (0 min)
1# of sugar added at flameout to increase fermentability
WLP001 or WY1056

The only thing I would need to buy for this is the LME as I have everything else. I also have about 3 oz of Mosaic leaf hops. Not sure how that would work with a APA.

OG should be around 1.058 and hoping for a FG around 1.015. I have a couple packets of US-05 in the fridge as well if someone thinks this might be a better option to get to my FG.

What's everyone think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
skunkfunk
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I think it sounds good. I would go partial mash and include some more grain to raise the gravity rather than include sugar in it. Alternatively, you could put in another pound of DME at the end instead of the sugar and achieve much the same result.

I'd suggest the US-05 since you already have it and wouldn't need a starter that way. Do you like your pale ales more bitter? I wouldn't think it would hurt anything to add some of those hops you have sitting around at the beginning of the boil, though I don't have any experience with Mosaic hops.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
peterj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkfunk View Post
I think it sounds good. I would go partial mash and include some more grain to raise the gravity rather than include sugar in it. Alternatively, you could put in another pound of DME at the end instead of the sugar and achieve much the same result.
The reason he's adding the sugar is to counteract the unfermentability of the malt extract, which is a very good idea in a beer you want to be dry.

You could dry hop with an ounce of two (or three) of the Mosaic. It's a descendant of Simcoe I believe, so I bet it would be very nice in a dry hop.

Also, I've found that WLP001, WY1056, and US-05 are all pretty much the same as far as attenuation and flavor profile. So I almost always go with US-05 because dry yeast is just easier.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
sptaylor70
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I ran it through Brewer's Friend, and assuming 5 gallons, it gave me OG 1.058, FG 1.014, SRM 9, IBU 38.

If it were mine, I would swap out all or part of the corn sugar for DME (maybe Munich or Wheat) or at least brown sugar.

The Mosaic should work well. Maybe add an ounce at flameout.

Looks good. Post how it turns out.

Quick Reply