*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Thoughts on Heff... Lemon addition (in Keg)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2009, 02:04 PM   #1
FxdGrMind
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Thoughts on Heff... Lemon addition (in Keg)

So there was a thread about Heff and adding Orange peel etc... When and how much. Well it got me to thinking.. I dont' want Orange.. I'd like lemon.

So what if I took Lemon (in the bottle or fresh squeesed) and nuke it (boil) then add it to the keg as I rack from Primary (10 day)?

How do others add "Flavors" such as Lemon etc to your brews? Is my idea on track or am I way off and borderline ruining a good Heff in the process.

I have a party I'm throwing in 2 1/2 weeks, I have one Brewed back in Dec and then the Heff which will be 3 weeks old. Serving both to "Cristen" the new Kegerator when it's finnished.

Your thoughts appreciated.
Cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2009, 08:29 PM   #2
michael.berta
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

forgive me if this is but IMO Bavarian style Hefewiezen is much better than American Hefe and lemons and stuff like that are just not needed.....

Old 01-22-2009, 12:42 AM   #3
FxdGrMind
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

He he he.. Alas this is an American Heff.... due to the yeast they included in the kit. I didn't know better at the time I got the kit or brewed it. I'm learning as I go.

I think I've decided to hold off this time. Maybe in April (tax time) for a summer ale.
So for this one I'll have to cut lemon in a bowl next to the tap.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:11 PM   #4
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Zest of two-three lemons added to the keg before racking would be yummy me thinks.

Looking forward to brewing some beer

Old 01-22-2009, 09:29 PM   #5
Kilgore_Trout
Recipes 

I wouldn't bother boiling the addition.

I'd recommend using lemon zest, as it won't cause fermentation. Lemon juice will have sugar and cause fermentation, leaving only a sour taste behind. The oils in the zest will provide flavor without sugar (which is why we use orange peel for witbier!).

Some people use lemongrass, but the flavor is different so make sure to sample a bit before you add it.

Quick Reply