Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Thermometer and stirring device

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2013, 04:34 AM   #1
theCougfan97
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

Default Thermometer and stirring device

I have everything I need to brew my first 10 gallon extract brew. All I need now is a thermometer and a stirring spoon. I see lots of options across many posts but that seems to just make decisions harder. Can anyone point me to some basic option that will ensure my first attempt goes smoothly without breaking the bank? (Amazon prime will get to me just in time)

Wazzu taught me everything I need to know, primarily my appreciation for beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 832 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 299

The thermometer needed for any extract brew isn't terribly critical as accuracy isn't as important as with all grain. You could steep your grains anywhere from room temperature to boiling without any real bad consequences but if you ever contemplate going to all grain you need a better thermometer. I use a long stem dial thermometer like this on from Midwest supplies. http://www.midwestsupplies.com/dial-thermometer.html which has pretty good accuracy and the 12 inch stem means I can reach down to my wort. I back this up with a lab grade thermometer like this one when I get close to my strike temperature because it has great accuracy but is rather fragile and I don't want it used much where it can break and leave me with glass shards to clean up. http://www.midwestsupplies.com/12-la...ermometer.html.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply