Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Is there a problem

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2006, 11:51 AM   #1
Brutus Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Is there a problem

I brewed a batch yesterday for the first time in about 8 years, a German wheat beer kit from Brewers Best. Everything went pretty smooth, other than the blistering heat in Ohio right now, and I got a starting gravity reading of 1.047. I pitched the wyeast 3056 bavarian wheat strain at roughly 73 degrees, and used a smack pack containing 100 billion cells and a smack pack containing 25 billion cells and have stored my fermenter in an upstairs bathroom. The temp in the storage area should be about 70-74 degrees. Now, I have checked twice on the beer and have not noticed any bubbling in the air lock, but the beer is foaming (krausening?). I was under the impression from the homebrew store that with this much yeast fermentation would very evident. Is the foaming (krausening) a good sign? Should I add more liquid to the air lock, it is just under half full now? Maybe a warmer area?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2006, 12:23 PM   #2
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

No, don't put it in a warmer area--that's already pretty warm for a weizen. (Remember, during active fermentation, the wort is probably a few degrees warmer than the ambient temperature.)

It sounds like you don't have a good enough seal to force the escaping gases out the airlock.

If you're using a bucket, check and make sure the lid is on all the way. If it's a carboy, try substituting a differnt bung/stopper.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 07-31-2006, 12:30 PM   #3
Brutus Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

[QUOTE=cweston]No, don't put it in a warmer area--that's already pretty warm for a weizen. (Remember, during active fermentation, the wort is probably a few degrees warmer than the ambient temperature.)

Would you recommend I move the fermenter to the basement, the temperature there should be 65-70.

Old 07-31-2006, 12:33 PM   #4
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus Brewer
Would you recommend I move the fermenter to the basement, the temperature there should be 65-70.
I would: I think 68 is about the target for a german hefeweizen. Warmer temps really bring out the banana/bubblegum flavor.

Now, if you really like banana...

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 07-31-2006, 01:13 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

Foam = fermentation (because the krausen is basically a big head). You have a bad seal on your fermenter.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-31-2006, 01:20 PM   #6
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 379 Times on 312 Posts
Likes Given: 102

I had the same basic issue with a couple of batches. I had split a 5-gallon recipe into two 3-gallon carboys, and neither showed much airlock activity at all - but, I had a good krausen in both. I *thought* I had the plugs in well, everthing all sealed up tightly, but apparently not. I may invest in some better plugs that those I bought with the carboys, or actually I'll probably just use the carboy caps (which are SO convenient for siphoning).

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 08-03-2006, 07:24 AM   #7
Blaine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
I had the same basic issue with a couple of batches. I had split a 5-gallon recipe into two 3-gallon carboys, and neither showed much airlock activity at all - but, I had a good krausen in both. I *thought* I had the plugs in well, everthing all sealed up tightly, but apparently not. I may invest in some better plugs that those I bought with the carboys, or actually I'll probably just use the carboy caps (which are SO convenient for siphoning).
Don't go putting it somewhere hotter. The last thing you want to do is create an environment for a flash ferment. It will taste terrible. It will be fine just remember to get 2 good (consistant) readings over two days. Bottle or rack as per normal and screw on that lid tighter next time...... No... tighter. Unless you're popeye your not going to strip the tread.

Cheers to the beers
Boof

Primary: Dry

Seconary: N/A

Conditioning: Dry
Conditioning: Dry

Now drinking: Hop Head Golden Saaz Pilsner

Next up: My own Pilzsner from scratch

Quick Reply