The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Target volume always low with brewmaster extract kits

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 01:58 AM   #1
RobE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Target volume always low with brewmaster extract kits

Ive brewed a couple kits from brewmasters select and I've been about a gallon low each time although I'm right at my OG. Do you think the recipe's are wrong or am I doing something wrong?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #2
yancydc
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm not familiar with those kits, but are they partial boils, i.e. you add water after the boil? It's common for the OG to be off due to the top up water not mixing completely.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
momobono
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yancydc
I'm not familiar with those kits, but are they partial boils, i.e. you add water after the boil? It's common for the OG to be off due to the top up water not mixing completely.
I agree, give the carboy a good swirl/mix before sampling it for OG. Also make sure it's at the correct cooled temperature if using a hydrometer.

There are methods of calculating expected gravity from the #s of extract added per gallon of beer (5gal). Reference "how to Brew" by Strong. Too lazy to write it here. :P

Old 12-15-2012, 05:09 AM   #4
ssazreal560
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by momobono View Post
I agree, give the carboy a good swirl/mix before sampling it for OG. Also make sure it's at the correct cooled temperature if using a hydrometer.

There are methods of calculating expected gravity from the #s of extract added per gallon of beer (5gal). Reference "how to Brew" by Strong. Too lazy to write it here. :P
I used to do this when i used kits a lot. Not stirring will throw it off, and if the temp of your wort is too high for whatever calibration your hydrometer is set at then the og will not be correct i think they have calculators online somewhere or you can use the beersmith app they have a calc. for it too

A guy at work asks what I am doing over the weekend. "Not much." I say, "Might brew some beer." "Wow!" Says the guy, "You ever get caught?" - sendkyleanemail

Old 12-15-2012, 05:12 AM   #5
derbycitybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssazreal560

I used to do this when i used kits a lot. Not stirring will through it off, and if the temp of your wort is too high for whatever calibration your hydrometer is set at then the og will not be correct i think they have calculators online somewhere or you can use the beersmith app they have a calc. for it too
There's also all the conversions in brew masters bible. If anyone needs these conversion I will b more than happy to post them. There's even a chart for temp changes for the hydrometer reading.

Quick Reply