Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > tap water vs spring water

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2008, 05:50 PM   #1
devaspawn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default tap water vs spring water

My tap water is highly chlorinated. i know that the levels of chlorine in my water is not good. I also know that spending 9 bucks on 6 gallons of spring water and 2 to 3 gallons of distilled water just isn't going to work. If i were to use my tap water for the wort in my brewing pot will the chlorine be boiled off enough that i don't have to worry about the flavoring or the potential yeast killing effects of it? Also, can i use my tap water for with my iodophor for the sanitization process of my equipment? will the little droplets of chlorinated water that i can't shake off be bad? I of course would still use 2 to 3 gallons of spring water to fill my bucket to the 5 gallon mark. I just have to find away to not add 9 bucks to each batch of brew. I don't even want to think about AG brewing without another option for obtaining my water.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2008, 06:28 PM   #2
njnear76
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by devaspawn
My tap water is highly chlorinated. i know that the levels of chlorine in my water is not good. I also know that spending 9 bucks on 6 gallons of spring water and 2 to 3 gallons of distilled water just isn't going to work. If i were to use my tap water for the wort in my brewing pot will the chlorine be boiled off enough that i don't have to worry about the flavoring or the potential yeast killing effects of it? Also, can i use my tap water for with my iodophor for the sanitization process of my equipment? will the little droplets of chlorinated water that i can't shake off be bad? I of course would still use 2 to 3 gallons of spring water to fill my bucket to the 5 gallon mark. I just have to find away to not add 9 bucks to each batch of brew. I don't even want to think about AG brewing without another option for obtaining my water.

I would use 1 Campden Tablet to treat the water used in brewing. One crushed campden tablet will get rid of chlorine and chloramine for 10 gallons of water.

A little bit of chlorine won't hurt things. I use untreated tap water all the time in my sanitation mixture.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:30 PM   #3
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Boiling to remove chemical

I do all grain and partial mash brews but I only have a 16qt kettle so I boil 2.75 gallons for 20min and chill it then do the rest of my wort with 2.75 gallons also. therefore giving 5.5 gallon batch standard...now to remove chlorine you have to boil your water for a minimum of 20 min. my tap water is also highly chlorinated. my priming water for making the priming solution I also boil. now for cleaning the rest of your equipment just use bleach and rinse with tap water. the effects, of rinsing with tap water I have found to be minimal.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:34 PM   #4
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

fwiw, walmart and my local grocery store sell spring water for .63 a gallon.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:42 PM   #5
jester22151
Recipes 

I go to the store and buy spring water. the tap water in my area tastes like s***t

Old 02-14-2008, 09:44 PM   #6
Plan9
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I buy spring water as well.
Not only do we have hard water, it can very by the day. Our city has 2 treatment stations, and they switch back and forth randomly.

Central Florida Home Brewers

Instagram

Old 02-14-2008, 10:09 PM   #7
APendejo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I used to use bottled water but now I just fill a couple of carboys full of tap water and disolve a crushed campden tablet in them. After about 5 minutes the treated tap water taste just like the bottled water. Saves me a few bucks and one less trip to the store and the beer comes out just fine.
AP

Old 02-14-2008, 10:55 PM   #8
clemson55
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I used spring water from walmart when they put it on sale its like $0.50 a gallon. I have a big brita filter thing I use if I cant make it to the store.

Primary - Empty
Secondary - Empty
Bottle Conditioning - None
Drinking - Peanut Butter Oatmeal Stout, Barleywine, Saison, APA, Strawberry mead
In the Works - Summer Rye for my wedding, May 15, 2010

Old 02-14-2008, 11:43 PM   #9
TinmanDan
Recipes 

I'm a fan of spring water. I know some people have good luck with tap water, but I'd rather not take the chance, given spring water only runs me an extra 3-4 dollars (our local stores sell it for 63 cents per gallon).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Primary: AG Russian Imperial Stout
Secondary: Nothing
Conditioning: Spiced Winter Ale, Tongue Splitter
Drinking: CA Imperial Pale Ale II, Dry Irish Stout, ESB
On Deck: AG Kitchen Sink Porter

Old 02-15-2008, 01:55 AM   #10
Junebug

Recipes 

I've heard folks say that their boiled tap water works fine. As for me, I purchase spring water because my tap water is so heavily chlorinated, like yours is. The water I purchase is fairly cheap- as another poster suggested, I would consider buying water from Walmart. I am not willing to take a chance with my screwed up tap water throwing off the flavor of my brews.

Conditioning: Irish Cream Ale

Conditioning: Kilkenny Irish Ale

Quick Reply