Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Tap or Spring?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2011, 11:55 PM   #21
Connman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Okay, so i brewed my IPA on Sunday, It is bubbling away like crazy this morning. Anyway. i used tap water and filtered tap water for topping off. I was a lil hesitant at first. I will let you all know how it turned out in a Month or so.
-Cheers Mate!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2011, 06:08 AM   #22
Connman
Recipes 

Yeah, this one did not turn out so well. I am convinced it was the tap water since it was the only thing i did differently. I am getting ready to secondary my Black IPA as well as my IPA. I used spring water this time. Ill let you know in a few weeks!

Old 04-25-2011, 10:52 AM   #23
Carter1932
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

We have good tap water here and its produced nothing but good beer for me, however being ever cautious I've started to treat my water with Campden tablets to force off free Chlorine and more importantly, Chloramine.

Kegged: Trippel, Cream Stout, Belgian IPA '13, Nut Brown Ale, Am. Amber, Hot Walker Pale Ale

Old 04-30-2011, 10:47 PM   #24
Sardoman
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I had been brewing in Philly for about a year and a half, and always used the tap water because I think it tastes fine. I had a flavor in the finish of every brew that bothered me; I can't describe it and nobody else seems to be able to notice it. I don't detect it in the tap water, not even when I heat it for tea. Then I noticed that same aftertaste in some of the brews from the local breweries and knew I was on to something. I tried using distilled water for an extract-only brew (knowing that all of the minerals I need for proper body and flavor remain in the malt extract after the water has been driven off) and the offending flavor is gone! I still use 1:1 tap water and distilled with a couple of salt additions for mashes, but now when I do an extract-only or extract+steeping brew I use distilled only. It made all the difference!

Of course now I can't drink the local breweries' products with as much enjoyment as I do my own.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:09 PM   #25
jeffd10
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Sounds Like alot of you guys are really lucky .....my tap water has 2 flavors, Chlorine and Pond Water ...so I have always brewed with spring water, and its worth the 4-5 bucks

Primary 1: Shooting Range IPA
Primary 2: Checkered Pilsner
Primary 3: Marris Pale Ale

Tapped 1: RyeIPA
Tapped 2: Englishman in New York (Stout)

Sunnyside Ave Brewery

“ A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure. ”

— Czech Proverb

Old 05-03-2011, 07:54 PM   #26
Transamguy77
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Has anyone used RO water? I have brewed 2 beers so far one with Tap water and the other with RO, I have not tried these yet one was bottled over the weekend and the other is in primary. It will be a few weeks before I try them.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:38 AM   #27
aplus01
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transamguy77 View Post
Has anyone used RO water? I have brewed 2 beers so far one with Tap water and the other with RO, I have not tried these yet one was bottled over the weekend and the other is in primary. It will be a few weeks before I try them.
I'm in the exact same boat as you. RO water brew (an IPA) is currently bottled. Tap water (a wheat bear) is bubbling away.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:59 PM   #28
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1911 Times on 1682 Posts
Likes Given: 1415

I used tap water in my OS lager brew from cooper's. It turned out good,but way down in the back of the taste was a quinine-like flavor. Just a little. Then,on the next batch,I used store brand spring water from here in Ohio,& it's gone. I think the beer tastes better too. Better qualities of malt/hop flavors without the chlorine/chloromine thing tainting it. We get lake water here,which at times tastes like flat alkaseltzer. So the extra few bucks for spring water top off is worth it to me.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:43 PM   #29
Krrazy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

In my last few batches, I've started using water from kiosks they have throughout Tucson. It tastes much better than my tap water, but the more I've been reading about wter chemistry, the more I'm wondering how the processing is affecting mineral content important for brewing. I've asked them if they have a chemistry report they could furnish, or at least give me estimates. I'm wondering if I should get in the practice of always adding some gypsum or something to the water I get there.

Does anyone have any experience with this (i.e. buy water like this and then just add a standard addition of minerals to get good brewing water)?

Old 05-04-2011, 06:03 PM   #30
philjohnwilliams
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krrazy View Post
In my last few batches, I've started using water from kiosks they have throughout Tucson. It tastes much better than my tap water, but the more I've been reading about wter chemistry, the more I'm wondering how the processing is affecting mineral content important for brewing. I've asked them if they have a chemistry report they could furnish, or at least give me estimates. I'm wondering if I should get in the practice of always adding some gypsum or something to the water I get there.

Does anyone have any experience with this (i.e. buy water like this and then just add a standard addition of minerals to get good brewing water)?
I took a look at the link for the water kiosks, and it would seem that part of their process (step 5) is reverse osmosis, which i believe means that that water will have almost zero mineral content

Quick Reply