Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Sweet Orange Peel vs. Orange Zest end of boil

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
mosquitocontrol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Sweet Orange Peel vs. Orange Zest end of boil

I've been requested to make a shocktop clone for my future father in law for memorial day. I know it is nothing great but he is obsessed. I plan to make a recipe that originated from a Blue Moon clone, which I 've made several times and enjoy. To me, the primary difference between shocktop and blue moon is that the orange is already in it. So this is where I need to "trick" him.

I have sweet dried orange peel and was wondering if this would give me enough of the orange flavor. Or should I use orange zest instead for flavoring. Basically does anyone have any insight on the differences of orange zest and orange peel on the final product? Need to get this done this weekend, figure it will be good either way I go.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2010, 12:46 AM   #2
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquitocontrol View Post
I've been requested to make a shocktop clone for my future father in law for memorial day. I know it is nothing great but he is obsessed. I plan to make a recipe that originated from a Blue Moon clone, which I 've made several times and enjoy. To me, the primary difference between shocktop and blue moon is that the orange is already in it. So this is where I need to "trick" him.

I have sweet dried orange peel and was wondering if this would give me enough of the orange flavor. Or should I use orange zest instead for flavoring. Basically does anyone have any insight on the differences of orange zest and orange peel on the final product? Need to get this done this weekend, figure it will be good either way I go.
Including the entire peel will add bitterness from the white pith included in the whole peel. Adding only the zest is recommended for that reason. The zest of Seville (bitter) Oranges will give you a much more intense/aromatic orange flavor.

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Old 05-04-2010, 10:55 PM   #3
mattldm
Recipes 

I have a question along these lines... I am thinking of making an orange hef. I was thinking about using the dried sweet orange peel available at morebeer or AHS, and I was wondering when was the best time to add this? in the boil or in the fermenter?
And how much of this will I need for a 5 gallon batch for a good orange flavor?

thanks

Old 05-05-2010, 12:55 AM   #4
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Use fresh orange zest, it will be more aromatic and flavorful. Personally, I don't like the dried stuff. Start with 1 oz, and up it if necessary. I add at 5 minutes, or flameout and allow to steep. Adding it to primary will allow much of the aromatics to be driven off by fermentation, you could secondary it if you chose too, but I wouldn't recommned any in the primary.

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Quick Reply