Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > supplementing kits

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2010, 10:12 PM   #1
robertbartsch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default supplementing kits

A few kits I have brewed recetly do not have much alcohal and are a tad thin.

Recently I have been brewing these with additional fermentables like grain mashes and more DME.

I assume this is a common practice; right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2010, 01:05 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4343 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Well, maybe. But the brewers I know make their own recipes when they don't like the kits, and just buy what they need to make a good beer instead of "doctoring" an inadequate kit.

There are some great kits out there- austinhomebrew.com for one has hundreds and hundreds of them. You can buy a "clone kit" of just about any commercial beer you could think of, as well as any basic style kit. These ingredient kits are well made with fresh ingredients (no prehopped canned LME junk), fresh grains, fresh yeast, etc, so there is no need to mess around with fixing them up.

If you're not liking the kits you've had in the past, you could always try a good quality kit. Sometimes adding more DME is ok, but usually it'll "unbalance" the flavors in a recipe. Unless you're adding more hops to balance the extra fermentables, just adding DME and/or grain may not be much of an improvement.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:43 AM   #3
Firstnten
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Well, maybe. But the brewers I know make their own recipes when they don't like the kits, and just buy what they need to make a good beer instead of "doctoring" an inadequate kit.

There are some great kits out there- austinhomebrew.com for one has hundreds and hundreds of them. You can buy a "clone kit" of just about any commercial beer you could think of, as well as any basic style kit. These ingredient kits are well made with fresh ingredients (no prehopped canned LME junk), fresh grains, fresh yeast, etc, so there is no need to mess around with fixing them up.

If you're not liking the kits you've had in the past, you could always try a good quality kit. Sometimes adding more DME is ok, but usually it'll "unbalance" the flavors in a recipe. Unless you're adding more hops to balance the extra fermentables, just adding DME and/or grain may not be much of an improvement.
Yooper is that a grand child I see in your Avater? Congratulations.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:31 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4343 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstnten View Post
Yooper is that a grand child I see in your Avater? Congratulations.

Yes! He was in the NICU for a week after birth, but he's home and doing quite well. That picture was him with all the tubes and IVs looking at me, like "Get me OUT of here!" He's now 10 days old.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:39 PM   #5
Clann
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 51

i mostly buy the light ale kit from 3b and sub in what ever i want. basicly using it as a base kit. at $22.55 its hard to go wrong

Old 07-29-2010, 12:54 PM   #6
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 18

"Supplementing kits" is a great way to get started making your own recipes, experiencing what 'x' ingredient will do to your bier. Also by making an extract kit into a partial-mash kit you get experience with all grain brewing with out the possible headache of low efficiency etc. as you have all that extract to fall back on.

My suggestion is to plug in the kit ingredients in to brewing software & see where you might want to add this or that. I began like this by simply adding 1-2lbs base malt, some wheat/flaked wheat for head, perhaps a few oz. victory or some such for character, and maybe adjusting the hop profile with extra additions.

Schlante,
Phillip

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Old 07-29-2010, 01:18 PM   #7
Brewmasters Warehouse
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

A bit of shameless self promotion, but if you want to start messing with the make up of a recipe every recipe on our website can be changed within the Brew Builder. You can start by picking a style and then choose an extract recipe and customize it with the Brew Builder. You can add, change or remove anything within the recipe.

Thanks,

Ed

Purchase a recipe with Brew Builder and save 10% off the recipe. Use discount code: BBBYO

Become a fan of BMW on Facebook.

Quick Reply