New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Summer Cucumber Brew

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #81
KWhit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Mine has been on the cukes for about 8 days. Gonna taste it tonight and see if it's time to bottle or not.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2012, 12:44 AM   #82
gladius270
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I popped one open tonight, and it is carbed up pretty well (you can find my recipe on page 8).

The cucumber on the nose has faded considerably. Nothing really stands out as far as aroma. There is a slight ester/grain smell. This beer is a nice orange hue, and turned out fairly clear. This beer tastes super clean. Very slight hops, finishing with the nice crisp cucumber. Super refreshing, great summer session brew.

I'd recommend this for anyone. I'm gonna pair this with some sushi, and I'd bet it will be amazing! I'd really love to try one of the cucumber saisons that some are talking about in this thread. I may have to try one of those out on my own in the future.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #83
GrizBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Racked off the cukes and into the keg today. As predicted, the Cucumbers are a little more in the front now. The Citra is still strong, but in a very good way. It should be great after carbonation. Next time I will likely pull them after only a week. I think the saison and citra character is a little nicer up front. All in all, pretty dang good though!!

Beer it's what's for dinner

Check out my homebrew documentary

Old 04-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #84
Blackmuse
Recipes 

Gladius,
How did your ester profile turn out? I know you mentioned a bit esters in there about 2 weeks ago... Now you only mention the aroma. Did the bottling time allow it to mellow out considerably? Just curious.

Mine has been in the fermentor for just over a week. Next week I'll put it on some cucumbers for about 4 days and then try to cold crash it for a couple days before I bottle.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:26 AM   #85
gladius270
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The esters have toned down a whole lot. They are barely noticeable at all in the both the aroma and the taste. I popped one yesterday, and it has become so good.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:11 PM   #86
Blackmuse
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladius270 View Post
The esters have toned down a whole lot. They are barely noticeable at all in the both the aroma and the taste. I popped one yesterday, and it has become so good.
Good to hear! I hope mine turns out as well.

With mine being made with Munich malt and what not it seems like it will turn out like a Blonde Ale with a cucumber finish.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #87
riored4v
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Curious if i should let mine sit longer. I did a pale ale with 3lbs of cucumber. Pale has a combo of cascade and nelson sauvin hops in it. I pulled a sample last night and it pretty much has the flavor of a pickle beer Was really hoping this would be nice and light, but unfortunately not. My thoughts are to pull off the cukes and keg it and hope the aging and carbonation will mellow out the flavor. Or just let it sit longer.

Thoughts?

Old 04-21-2012, 06:55 PM   #88
gladius270
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

All you can really do now is let it condition and hope the pickle flavor fades. I dont detect a pickle taste in mine, but nice fresh cucumber.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:54 PM   #89
Zalf
Recipes 

Did a version of this with 8lbs(before I could find how much most were using) of peeled, quartered, and frozen cucumbers in the secondary under a 5 gallon batch of AHBS's partial mash cream ale. What a great beer.

When really cold the cucumber is strong but still light overall. If you let it start to warm up then the cucumber gets stronger and stronger to the point of being too strong. Definitely cucumber and I'm not getting any pickle at all.

I will definitely make this again but depending on if the cucumber mellows as it bottle ages; like most fruits; I will most likely back down to 6 lbs and work from there.

And a warning to anyone else using cucumbers, I am really glad I had the cucumbers in a strainer bag because they turned to complete mush in the secondary.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #90
tmags711
get after it
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Does anyone have an all-grain grain bill for this? Or a saison recipe they've tried it will. I love a good experiment and this could be great.

That said, most people are racking a saison onto the cukes, some people used a blonde. Thoughts?

Quick Reply