Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Summer Cucumber Brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #111
Blackmuse
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Wow - I don't get that at all! I'm about to head over to a neighbors house and drink one of my Cucumber Blondes... Definitely smells and tastes of Cucumbers! Hmmm.
Pears would definitely go well though! Won't hurt that's for sure.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2013, 04:50 AM   #112
GrizBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This time around I used 3711 at 68 degrees and it attenuated fully down to 1.01. It is a pretty clean Saison yeast really, but a little bit if that character. I also use candy sugar, so it ended up nice and dry. Instead of letting it sit on the cukes for two weeks this year, I peeled them fairly roughly (left a bit of the green peel) and then juiced them in a juicer. I bet a blender would work as well. I used 3 lbs in 5 gallons and just put it all right in the keg. It turned out phenomenally delicious! Better than last year for sure. Huge fresh cucumber taste. The first couple of pints poured cloudy but after that it is a nice clear beer as well. I used Citra last year and chose Sorachi Ace this year as my hops. Neither of them overtook the cucumber or the yeast flavors. It all plays very well together.

Beer it's what's for dinner

Check out my homebrew documentary

Old 07-17-2013, 11:14 PM   #113
inflictor-of-grimness
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizBrew View Post
This time around I used 3711 at 68 degrees and it attenuated fully down to 1.01. It is a pretty clean Saison yeast really, but a little bit if that character. I also use candy sugar, so it ended up nice and dry. Instead of letting it sit on the cukes for two weeks this year, I peeled them fairly roughly (left a bit of the green peel) and then juiced them in a juicer. I bet a blender would work as well. I used 3 lbs in 5 gallons and just put it all right in the keg. It turned out phenomenally delicious! Better than last year for sure. Huge fresh cucumber taste. The first couple of pints poured cloudy but after that it is a nice clear beer as well. I used Citra last year and chose Sorachi Ace this year as my hops. Neither of them overtook the cucumber or the yeast flavors. It all plays very well together.
Sounds a lot like the CCB Cucumber Saison. They use 3711 with citra AND sorachi ace

Old 04-15-2014, 06:48 AM   #114
doublebogey10
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I subbed to this thread a while back because I loved the concept. But I never ended up brewing anything with cucumber.
Last week, was in San Diego and visited Modern Times. Great place, great beer.
They had their Lomaland Saison with a cucumber addition on tap. So good.
Pulled this thread back up to explore a new brew with cukes.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Old 05-01-2014, 01:09 PM   #115
rickytim
Recipes 

[QUOTE=shauntraxler;2772765]
5 Gallons

3.3lb Briess Wheat LME
1lb Light DME
8oz Honey
1oz Cascade @ 60mins

I'll probably just use Notty yeast because that's what I have on hand. Primary ferment for about a week and then rack onto ~5 pounds of peeled, and chopped cukes (with a Campden tab) for about 2 weeks.
QUOTE]

For shauntraxler recipe I am just wondering what the boil schedule would be? Should the LME and DME be added in the beginning of the boil or split? Unsure of the addition of the honey. I would think it would be towards the end like the last 10mins or so. Just looking for some input probably going to brew this weekend.

Quick Reply