Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Successful Peanut Butter Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #11
bds3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher79 View Post
I was thinking of brewing a stout this weekend, but using cocoa nibs in the secondary in conjunction with peanut butter. Do you think that the 16 oz. chocolate/peanut butter powder would be good to use with the nibs?

http://www.amazon.com/Plantation-PB2...5&keywords=pb2

Also, how did you go about sanitizing the peanut butter powder?
I've read other threads with folks using the chocolate-flavored PB2 with varying results. I personally have not had great success adding actual chocolate (nibs, powder) to my stouts, which is why I just did plain peanut butter, but I have to imagine the chocolate-flavored PB2 will work quite well for an overall well-flavored stout. From what I've read it's difficult to get a "Reese's PB Cup" flavor. I had a hard enough time just getting a peanut butter flavor...

I found out by shear luck--after I'd already planned on brewing with it--that the grocery store a block away from me sells PB2, so you might want to just check and see if yours does.

Keep in mind that if you want the peanut butter to be a pronounced flavor (as I did), you might want to at least consider the Lorann Oils extract in secondary (it's water-based; not an actual oil).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #12
bds3
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

And I didn't mean to ignore the other part of your question: I boiled ~10 oz of water, added the 13 oz of PB2 to it, stirred until smooth, and dumped it in.

Did the whole slurry get up to boiling temp? No. Am I maybe slightly reckless with my secondary additions? I guess.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #13
Topher79
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Thanks for the feedback! I'll definitely be adding 2 jars to my 5 gallon batch. There is a gym that sells the PB2 1 mile away from my office. I am not really going for a full on peanut butter cup flavor, I want the chocolate to come out in the front, then have an aftertaste of peanut butter that mingles with the chocolate. I'm thinking about adding the powder straight from the jar to the carboy in hopes that the alcohol will kill any minor nasties that may be lingering in the powder.

I like beer because it's good, I drink beer because I should...

Old 03-07-2013, 04:57 AM   #14
bds3
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I think you've got a pretty good plan for "chocolate up front and an aftertaste of peanut butter." I wasn't too worried that I didn't boil my PB2; I actually think it's probably sterile within the sealed jar so you'll probably be fine.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:10 AM   #15
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I judged Specialty beers at the San Diego fair last year and we had a Penut butter stout win the category. I judged it with a brewer at Coronado brewing company, he said he thinks the best way to get a good penut butter taste is to use penut butter captain crunch cereal in the mash.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:24 AM   #16
bds3
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsquared View Post
I judged Specialty beers at the San Diego fair last year and we had a Penut butter stout win the category. I judged it with a brewer at Coronado brewing company, he said he thinks the best way to get a good penut butter taste is to use penut butter captain crunch cereal in the mash.
That's interesting, and didn't even cross my mind. Any specific reason he said that? Like the peanut butter being dried and in a flour-sugar-PB mix in the cereal helped with body and added some fermentables and flavor, or something? I'm just reaching...

Old 03-07-2013, 06:30 AM   #17
madcowbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Sounds like beavr nuts to me. I brewed a peanut butter jelly stout the other day and agree you need more then just the powder to keep the peanut flavor from fading.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #18
Topher79
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bds3 View Post
I think you've got a pretty good plan for "chocolate up front and an aftertaste of peanut butter." I wasn't too worried that I didn't boil my PB2; I actually think it's probably sterile within the sealed jar so you'll probably be fine.
Thanks for the input. I plan on brewing a chocolate stout with nibs and cocoa powder, adding a little lactose to sweeten it up a bit, and then adding two jars of the chocolate peanut butter PB2 to the secondary (maybe adding a third jar of regular peanut putter powder also). I don't know if any of you have had Terrapin Brewery's "Liquid Bliss", but this is sort of the peanut profile I am going for.

I like beer because it's good, I drink beer because I should...

Newsman Likes This 
Old 03-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #19
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bds3 View Post
That's interesting, and didn't even cross my mind. Any specific reason he said that? Like the peanut butter being dried and in a flour-sugar-PB mix in the cereal helped with body and added some fermentables and flavor, or something? I'm just reaching...
I think the idea behind it is the cereal manufactures are using some type of synthetic flavoring, or a flavor stabilizing agent in their manufacturing process that would assist with flavor stability during the boil and fermentation.

Balast point here made a American porter that was dry hoped with captain crunch and lactose called Victory at cereal, This might be another option too, because the cereal out of the box should not need sanitizing and could go straight into the fermenter.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:39 AM   #20
bds3
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsquared View Post
I think the idea behind it is the cereal manufactures are using some type of synthetic flavoring, or a flavor stabilizing agent in their manufacturing process that would assist with flavor stability during the boil and fermentation.

Balast point here made a American porter that was dry hoped with captain crunch and lactose called Victory at cereal, This might be another option too, because the cereal out of the box should not need sanitizing and could go straight into the fermenter.
Now I'm intrigued and want to try a whole bunch of Capn Crunch in with my steeping grains (or mash if I finally go AG like I've been intending) +/- secondary. I don't want ot mess with the PB stout recipe I'm finally happy with, but I'm just too curious. I also have a boatload of PB-ish beer that I need to drink first...

Quick Reply