Style Mishap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waldzorn

Reaction score
I thought I would go wild and make a stout by the loosest definitions. I'm not sure what I ended up with, and I was wondering if anyone could help me define the style. It tastes very sweet, with only a slightly coffee-ish aftertaste. It's good though, I just don't know what to call it. It's not opaque, just VERY VERY VERY dark amber and only when you look at it in the light. The following recipe is the crazy recipe I decided to use

3.3lbs coopers bitter extract
6.0lbs corn syrup
5.0lbs 40L crystal malt
0.5lbs black malt
0.5lbs chocolate malt
0.5oz northern brewers (60min)
generic coopers yeast
primary 3 weeks
bottles 2 weeks

looks like some variation of a porter, borderline malt liquor (if that .5 oz was your only hop addition). If the black malt had been roasted barley, I guess it would have been a confused stout.

I guess you could call it a Porter's Malt Liquor...

ABV is way too high for a stout, other than russian imperial. The hopping is too subtle for any style stout. You'd made alcohol for sure, but I'm not going to attempt to classify it.

Thanks! I think I will call it a malt liquor then. It is very cloying with a rich malt and caramel flavour, almost buttery but not quite (I blame this entirely on the massive quantities of crystal malt). It's a little chewy and has a subtle coffee aftertasted. A little vinous but no overwhelming alcohol taste. It's VERY soft. I did use a bitter extract kit but the hop flavours don't really come through the mess. It is very smooth though. Sits well in the mouth, and is suprisingly easy to drink despite it's flaws. Also, the head is absolutely fantastic. The beer is very attractive to look at, so long as no one tastes it haha.

Back