Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Stuck fermentation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2008, 02:06 AM   #1
NikolausXX
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Stuck fermentation?

We brewed a kit of porter from the local brew shop. We added some molases to the boil about 12oz. We brewed on Sunday, and now 3 days later, no bubbles, no activity. The yeast we used was Nottingham brewers yeast, and the temp is 65-70 degrees. Is it possible that the molases contaminated the wort making it unable to ferment. This is our 4th brew, and the only one that hasnt worked. Would it be wise to make a starter of some of the irish ale yeast I "washed" from my oatmeal stout and put it in there? We followed the directions to the T other than the molases. Or is the wort contaminated over time without fermentation? I guess its only been 3 days, but usually they kick off for us after 24 hours at the most. We sanatize everything, and follow all the rules, im just wondering if my friends molases he bought from Hy-vee is killing it?

Primary- Jamils Pale ale with crystal
Kegged- Apfelwein (almost gone)
Ageing- Joam Mead

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2008, 03:52 AM   #2
mrk305
Beer Dude in the Sunset
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I wouldn't think molasses would slow it down any unless in had preservatives in it. Preservatives would stop the yeast, but most likely not. Probably your lid is not airtight, so you are not seeing any bubbles. Try pushing the lid down again. Nottingham never fails for me.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:34 AM   #3
NikolausXX
Recipes 

not stuck, bucket was not air tight. Gravity 1.020 from 1.050, large ring, lots of head, smells good. Hopefully it didnt get infected.

Primary- Jamils Pale ale with crystal
Kegged- Apfelwein (almost gone)
Ageing- Joam Mead

Old 02-14-2008, 05:26 AM   #4
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 8

It'll be fine, with the CO2 flowing out of it from fermentation it should not be an avenue for infection. Remember most of the time infection from air contact is going to be something floating downward, the bacteria don't seem too good at climbing

Quick Reply