is it stuck fermentation??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbcavman

Reaction score
Alright this is my first batch of beer and I am not sure what to expect. My brew is in the carboy and I have switched over to my airlock from the blow-off hose three days ago. When I first put the airlock on it was bubbling good. Now the last two days I have not personally seen a bubble make it through. I can see that there is pressure in the airlock because of the water levels. Is this normal or should i be concerned?

jbcavman said:
Alright this is my first batch of beer and I am not sure what to expect. My brew is in the carboy and I have switched over to my airlock from the blow-off hose three days ago. When I first put the airlock on it was bubbling good. Now the last two days I have not personally seen a bubble make it through. I can see that there is pressure in the airlock because of the water levels. Is this normal or should i be concerned?

Sounds perfectly normal to me. If you are going to put it in a secondary, I would do it now (or any time within the next week or so when it is convenient). If you are going to bottle or keg, I would take hydrometer readings every two days until you get two consecutive identical readings at approximately 1.015 or lower, and then bottle when it is convenient. (Don't forget to sanitize whatever you use to get the samples, and drink the samples. That way you will know what it should taste like when you break your hydrometer.)

-a.

p.s. Welcome to the forum.

I agree with ajf; it sounds like your beer has fermented out. Personally, once the bubbles in my airlock are at intervals of one per minute or greater, I rack to secondary.

If you don't plan to secondary your beer, I'd go ahead and bottle, once the beer falls relatively clear. If you've seen no airlock activity for a couple of days in a row, that time is now!

Thanks for the info. One thing I left out of my original message is that there are small bubbles rising to the surface of the beer. but not much activity at the airlock. i am going to take a reading with the hydrometer tonight.

Back