Strawberry honey blond ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thegreatestgray

Reaction score
I'm trying to make a strawberry honey blonde ale with a blonde ale kit from more beer I added the honey at flame out and it's been in primary for about a week now but don't know how much strawberries to add to the secondary I want a strawberry flavor that doesn't over power everything else does anyone have any advice or experience to help me out thanks

Assuming you're using fresh fruit, I think the general rule of thumb is approximately 1 lb. of fruit per gallon of beer.

I didn't know what would be better fresh or frozen I have looked around on here but no one says what kind of strawberry flavor the beer has

Unless strawberries are fresh and in season where you live, I would recommend frozen strawberries, they are usually pretty darn sweet. And one other little tip, if you don't want it to overpower your beer flavor, using thawed frozen, I would use one half pound per gallon. Also consider this idea, sterilize some cheese cloth and hemp string in boiling water. Place the cheese cloth around the bottom of your racking tube, tie it closed around the tube with the string leaving enough length to drape the string over the side of you bottling bucket or keg so you can easily remove it if it slips off when taking it out. This will take any particulate from the strawberries out before you bottle. I would love to hear and see how it comes out. Good luck!

Actually there is a thread on this. I believe if you search Succulent Strawberry Blonde it will pop up. It's a great read too. Lemmie see if I can find it

Is it better to add the strawberries frozen or thawed? I think thawed then funnel it to a carboy. Thoughts? Or should I primary 1 week then add them to primary for another week. Then secondary?

I added mine to the carboy frozen then let them thaw out a bit then racked the beer on top of it and let it sit for a week now the strawberries are all white so I'm bottling tomorrow I will try a sample and let you know how it taste to give you an idea

Yea sounds good. Just don't know why you would rack on to them when you can add to primary. Interesting. But... If they are thawed then mashed into secondary through a funnel then it would be easier.

From what I have read you would most likely have a huge blow off and lose most flavor so you would have to rack on strawberry extract or something to get back flavor and it would probably be better to mash it you would most likely get more flavor but I was being lazy

So I bottled today and took a sample it's pretty good the strawberry flavor was very pronounced which I'm hoping it will mellow out a bit in bottling condition I racked 5 gallons on 3 lbs frozen strawberries for a week

I put 6lbs of frozen whole strawberries from Costco in the secondary and racked it to a third one after a week. Going to wait a month or so to let it clear up.

Just a heads up the strawberries are nasty looking when you are done with them.

I tested a bottle after two weeks and it was very good the honey smoothed it out and there is a hit of strawberry in the after test I would recommend any one to try this I just used a blonde kit add honey at 15 min till, primary two weeks, secondary on 3 lbs frozen, bottled conditioned for two weeks.

Back