Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Stout flat as pancake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2007, 12:58 AM   #1
grasshopper1917
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Stout flat as pancake

I made some stout - im worried the yeast i used sucked - it was old kit yeast - it fermented ok BUT. I primed it with half a cuppa corn sugar before bottling to give a slightly mild carbonation - I got anxious and tried a biottle after 6 days and it is flat as a pancake - tastes ok but no fizz! When i say flat i mean flat - u get like a few tiny bubbles when u pour it in. I know it is only been 6 days but with my IPA I had a big head. Is my stout doomed???? Is there any hope some carbonation may occur at all after a couple weeks even though there has been zilch so far? Helllllp

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2007, 01:00 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4359 Times on 3169 Posts
Likes Given: 848

I think it'll be find in about 3 weeks. It usually takes a while for it to carb up. Try not to worry and drink some nice microbrews and forget about the stout until July 30. Then, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:56 AM   #3
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

What temperature do you have your bottles conditioning at? If it is on the cool side that will also slow down carbonation. As mentioned, try to forget about it until the end of July.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 07-10-2007, 02:10 AM   #4
grasshopper1917
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Ohh well it was room temp - i did put one in the fridge after just 4 days or so and let it in the fridge for 2 - then tried it. I will wait thought til the end of July I still have lots of IPA left to drink til then anyway. Have there been cases when beer has not carbonated at all?

Old 07-10-2007, 02:16 AM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 940 Times on 626 Posts
Likes Given: 28

No, I've never had any carbonation in 4 days but then again, I wouldn't know. I never jumped the gun that soon. I tried most of my batches on day 10 and that's with flash chilling in salty ice water giving it a full 10 days at room temp. They've always been half carbed by then.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 07-10-2007, 02:29 AM   #6
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

6 days isn't really all that long. It also can't hurt to roll the bottles around a bit, it'll get the yeast into solution and may speed up the carbonation a bit.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:40 AM   #7
southern brewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper1917
I made some stout - im worried the yeast i used sucked - it was old kit yeast - it fermented ok BUT. I primed it with half a cuppa corn sugar before bottling to give a slightly mild carbonation - I got anxious and tried a biottle after 6 days and it is flat as a pancake - tastes ok but no fizz! When i say flat i mean flat - u get like a few tiny bubbles when u pour it in. I know it is only been 6 days but with my IPA I had a big head. Is my stout doomed???? Is there any hope some carbonation may occur at all after a couple weeks even though there has been zilch so far? Helllllp
did you buy a recipe kit? everything I have made calls for 3/4 cup of corn sugar boiled in with 1 cup of water. then added to your bottle bucket before you syphon the beer into the bucket. All that sound familiar?

Old 07-10-2007, 06:25 AM   #8
Willy Boner
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I always go with 3/4 to 1 cup of corn sugar and I give it a quiet stir with a sanitized spoon as I have gotten some batches where some bottles did not carb up as much as some in the same batch

Old 07-10-2007, 06:47 AM   #9
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

It probably had decent carbonation but then putting it in the fridge for two days makes the carbonation go back down, especially if the carb isn't that strong yet. I always drink tester beers before they are truly ready. I've had some completely carbed in 3 days, some it took around 5 days, but never longer than that. I also always use 3/4 cup.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:54 PM   #10
grasshopper1917
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Yea I usually use 3/4 cups to prim as well - just in this case used 1/2 cup because i only wanted a light carbonation. Just as an added note - when i took the cap off it did make that normal sound - like psssssssss - ok maybe a bad immitation hehehhe. In anycase ill give it a couple more weeks and pray to the beer gods!

Quick Reply