Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Steeping specialty grains

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2008, 02:20 AM   #11
tom777
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach7210 View Post
Thanks for the info, guys. I typically steep in around 2-3 gallons of water for 30 minutes and use that time to prep and sanitize other items; only coming around to the brew pot to play with the grain bag every few minutes. (I do tie the bag to a handle and do not allow it to rest on the bottom of the kettle).

I think on mynext brew day I may try just 3qt of water and see how that method turns out.

same here -- I've always just followed the direction -- which usually say something like "heat 2 gallons of water...."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2008, 02:27 AM   #12
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have found that many directions are default ones for people that just want to make cookie cutter beers. If you are here you obviously want to make BETTER beer and already or will soon know more about making beer then the recipes give you credit for.

I use Kit directions only as a guide.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:50 AM   #13
joe6pack
Recipes 

I snuck an early sample to check the gravity tonight on my pale ale. So far I think it tastes great! It hit the estimated FG in 5 days.

And yeah I definitely plan on moving to Partial Mash a la Deathbrewer soon. Maybe one more extract kit and then change over.

I give up trying to keep this signature current.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:02 PM   #14
Bach7210
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000 View Post
I have found that many directions are default ones for people that just want to make cookie cutter beers. If you are here you obviously want to make BETTER beer and already or will soon know more about making beer then the recipes give you credit for.

I use Kit directions only as a guide.
I'm learning more and more that your statement is very accurrate. Anymore, when I brew, I don't even look at the directions. I am curious about doing partial mashes. I need to read up on that and figure out how to get the ingredients to try a batch that way.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:35 PM   #15
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I use a procedure kind of in-between the steep and mini mash. I put my specialty grains with some 2-row in a small pan with around 1.5 qts/lb. ~170 degree water and wrap the whole thing with a towel for 30+ minutes. Then I dump through a strainer into the pot on a turkey fryer and pour some more 180 degree water through it. No special equipment needed. Not sure if it makes a difference, but it's as close as I'll get until I convert my cooler and try all-grain.

Looking forward to brewing some beer

Old 10-31-2008, 02:08 AM   #16
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Good to know on the specialty grains, I've been doing steeps with 2.5 gallons of water at 150-160 degrees. Since I'm going to be doing my next batch soon I have a question then about specialty grains.

Say a recipe calls for 1 pound of specialty grains and you steep them @ 160 in 3/4 gallons of water. When you add more water to acheive your boil volume won't you dilute the tea? So should I double the specialty grains so that I can do a larger steep volume and don't dilute the tea? Or will that original amount have the desired effect you're looking for? FWIW I'm trying to convert Dude's All Grain Pliny Clone to extract. I know how much LME I need to use but I need to get an answer on the specialty grains. He calls for .25 lbs Crystal 40 and .75 Cara-Pils, I'm using 9.5 pounds of LME.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:01 AM   #17
Limited Visibility
Recipes 

I have the same question as schweaty. I usually steep in my 2.5 gallons, but I will try with the 3 quarts next time. After steeping to I go ahead and top off my boil so its 2.5 gallons?

Old 10-31-2008, 05:32 AM   #18
Bach7210
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited Visibility View Post
I have the same question as schweaty. I usually steep in my 2.5 gallons, but I will try with the 3 quarts next time. After steeping to I go ahead and top off my boil so its 2.5 gallons?
Gents, that is what I did. I just finished brewing a batch tonight, steeped for 30 minutes at 160F in 3qts, then added another 2 gal of water for the boil. Got it up to 212F, added 2lbs of DME and hops....boiled for 45 minutes and then added the 4lbs of LME and let it steep (with the heat off) for 15 minutes. I'm hopeful that will take away the "twangy" extract flavor I've been experiencing in my brews. This was a berry beer (think basic wheat beer) and the SG was 1.042.

I'll keep you posted on how it turns out. I did use a starter, 1000mL.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:32 PM   #19
wheeliechicken
Recipes 

Another thread on this same subject:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/stee...ll-boil-80776/

Edit: Ok I searched some more (Search for "steeping volume", titles only) and found that opinions on this topic are mixed. Some say it matters, some say it doesn't.

TH

Last edited by wheeliechicken; 10-31-2008 at 12:45 PM.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:40 PM   #20
Bach7210
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeliechicken View Post
Another thread on this same subject:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/stee...ll-boil-80776/

Edit: Ok I searched some more (Search for "steeping volume", titles only) and found that opinions on this topic are mixed. Some say it matters, some say it doesn't.
I've seem mixed reviews on this too, but I figure if there is a chance it will make my beer better...than why not. It isn't any more difficult to do it this way, just a different method.
On Tap #1 - EdWort's Haus Pale Ale
On Tap #2 - Kölsch
Bottled: Raspberry Wheat
Kegged: Oatmeal Stout, Strawberry Blond
Primary: Cream Ale, Pumpkin Ale
Up next: Guinness Clone, Irish Red

Quick Reply