Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > steeping grains in the snow...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2011, 12:17 PM   #11
fermentedhiker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I brew outside and I'm in Maine, if you bring 5 gallons up to temperature it will stay hot for a shocking amount of time even in single digit temps. For instance if you try to cool the wort by sticking the kettle in a snow bank it will still take over an hour to get the temps down if there isn't a lot of wind.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
~Thomas A. Edison

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2011, 04:12 PM   #12
Scottatron
Recipes 

I cooled my 2ish gallons of wort in the snow last week (at below 0 C) and it took more than an hour to bring it down to pitching temperature. I say keep the burner on low to maintain temperature.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:19 AM   #13
Boondoggie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My aluminum kettle keeps 5gal steady for 30min at steeping temps outside with the burner off...

So well that it kinda makes me wonder why all grain brewers bother with a cooler to mash in....

Old 02-02-2011, 01:37 AM   #14
Skrimpy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggie
My aluminum kettle keeps 5gal steady for 30min at steeping temps outside with the burner off...

So well that it kinda makes me wonder why all grain brewers bother with a cooler to mash in....

Slightest change in temp can effect what the beer tastes like significantly when mashing rather than working with extracted sugars. Maintaining temp for it is huge. Steeping for added flavor to extract brews not so much. When you're steeping you aren't adding much to gravity, abv and your chemistry and temps don't matter nearly as much.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:48 PM   #15
woodstone
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermentedhiker View Post
I brew outside and I'm in Maine, if you bring 5 gallons up to temperature it will stay hot for a shocking amount of time even in single digit temps. For instance if you try to cool the wort by sticking the kettle in a snow bank it will still take over an hour to get the temps down if there isn't a lot of wind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottatron View Post
I cooled my 2ish gallons of wort in the snow last week (at below 0 C) and it took more than an hour to bring it down to pitching temperature. I say keep the burner on low to maintain temperature.
Snow only insulates your kettle...not great for cooling (you both make the point)! Plenty of posts about that. He, he.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:54 PM   #16
woodstone
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by etoews View Post
sorry, but on a somewhat unrelated note to brewing in mass: i live in beverly and didn't even think to get a water quality report from the city. any of you mass brewers run into any issues where you needed to apply additives etc.? this hasn't been an issue where i used to brew but here not so sure.

thanks again!
You can likely get a water report on line from the city website...I believe towns/cities are required to publish by law.

I can't speak for Beverly water...I use bottled spring water out of habit and add Burton Salts, etc. when I do IPAs for instance. Other than that, straight spring water.

Edit: I Googled and think you get your water from Salem...this was on their site...

http://www.salem.com/Pages/SalemMA_Water/2009waterqualreport.pdf

Old 02-02-2011, 09:24 PM   #17
vicratlhead51
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You moved from SoCal to get away from hippies and earthquakes, j/k. Maintaining temp isn't as important when just steeping anyway although fluctuations make for funny note taking. I do my brewing in my garage and just sit next to the burner kicking it on and off as needed. I usually pick a 5 degree range and let it fluctuate in that range, but I'm still kinda new myself, just finished my 13th batch, just thought I'd throw my two cents in.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:45 PM   #18
mack25
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hey etoews, I'm in Salem. Both Salem and Beverly get their water from Whenam Lake. In fact, Salem and Beverly jointly run the water supply board. So that quality report that woodstone found should apply to both of us.

And I don't add anything to my water when I brew. Tried adding water salts once, and wasn't happy with the results. I do filter it though.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:03 PM   #19
terrapinj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 533

what about steeping in a small quantity of water on your stove top then adding that to your large kettle for the boil?

Old 02-02-2011, 10:59 PM   #20
etoews
Recipes 

thanks a ton for your input guys. and yes i did move here to get away from the hippies and the earthquakes; little did i know you were going to have this winter anyhow, the good news is that 6' snowbanks make for an excellent windbreak! and i appreciate the input on the water; i will just use straight tap for now.

Quick Reply