Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Steeping grains -- how rigid is the volume?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2010, 01:58 AM   #1
Naked_Eskimo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Steeping grains -- how rigid is the volume?

I just wanted to ask for clarification regarding steeping grains and their volume.

In a lot of places (on the net, recipe kits etc), I've read that specialty grains "should" be steeped at 155F for 30mins. Usually, said grains are steeped in a 2 gallon volume which is then transfered to the kettle, and subsequent water+DME/LME added to get to target pre-boil volume and SG.

My question is this: is there any particular reason why this magical number of 2 gallons?

If I am aiming for a pre-boil volume of 3.5gallons, is there anything stopping me from doing my steep in a larger (e.g. 4) volume rather than 2 gallon, thus negating me having to add water to the kettle at a later stage? Is there some kind of theoretical ideal ratio of specialty grains to water? I know with AG there's a working range to do the mash in, but does this apply to steeping too?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2010, 02:07 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4286 Times on 3123 Posts
Likes Given: 831

Maybe.

If you're using ONLY crystal malt and other already converted malts, you can use whatever volume you choose, probably without any negative consequences.

However, if you've got any other malts like Munich malt, victory malt, two-row, etc, you really want to still with the 1.5 quarts per pound of grain so that you can convert the malts, avoid a too-high mash pH, and avoid tannin extraction.

In my mind, it's just easier to always plan on using 1.5 quarts of water per pounds of grains at 150-155 and you're always 100% safe.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:57 PM   #3
Naked_Eskimo
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Thanks Yooper, the only malts I will be steeping are:

0.4 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
0.4 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
0.25 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)

That totals 1lb specialty grains to be steeped. With your calculation of 1.5qt per pound, then I would only need to steep in 1qt water....which is way below the recommended 2 gallons.

SO...would there really be any difference if I steeped in 2 gallons or 4 gallons, or will I be extracting undesirable flavours with the larger volume?

Old 08-05-2010, 03:14 PM   #4
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Nope, you'll be fine with those grains. Steep in 4 gallons of water.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Quick Reply